Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My transition from Kiddie Literature

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My transition from Kiddie Literature
 Login/Join

posted
When I was in the sixth grade, many, many years ago, my teacher took away my current "Nancy Drew" book and said, "You don't want to read this stuff anymore. Here, this is what you should be reading." And he handed me a copy of "The Illustrated Man." My reading life has never been the same. I was given, in that one single instant, a love of science fiction and fantasy, and an author to judge all other books by.

Today, some 55 years later, I've been a children's librarian since the '70s - and every sixth grader who asks for a good book gets a copy of "The Illustrated Man." May you go on changing the lives of children forever.

Posts: 2 | Location: New Brunswick Free Public Library, New Brunswick NJ | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W O W !!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Laurak ~ I am finishing Dandelion Wine this week with my ninth grade classes. It has been on my reading list for many years. Much of the text is read orally in class even after being assigned for homework. I have the kids select their favorite images and scenes. Then selections are read by the kids who wish to volunteer in reading their passages. Some of my most reluctant readers can regularly be seen raising their hands first. Ie, today, selections actually included: The book's opening as Douglas awakens Green Town, the description of John Huff, Colonel Freeleigh's comparing of his younger and 100 yr. old body, the Tarot Witch in her glass case, and the closing awareness of Doug that autumn and winter will bring more amazing awarenesses - and the bottled Dandelion Wine will rest on the shelves so that nothing of the Summer of 1928 will be forgotten.

(My personal "must reads," to name a few, are: the Sound of Summer Running, the boys visit the Colonel, the Exorcism, the Ravine, the Lonely One, Great Grandmother's Farewell, and, of course!!!, Mr. Jonas's visit to the fevered Douglas. I do need to explain much because of the cultural and technological changes our society has experienced over the past 80 yrs. It proves to be a history lesson, too.) Book in the wings! Illustrated Man, in a month or so.

The imaginations are there. They just needed to be jump started sometimes. Laurak, without a doubt, you have touched the hearts and minds and lives of countless children. Think of the myriad of ripples you have sent out across the pond. Bless you!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451 -

It's too bad that more teens aren't exposed to the finer things in books - Dandelion Wine and the Illustrated Man are two - there are many, many more.

I have always considered the description of new summer sneakers in Dandelion Wine to be wonderful and exhilarating poetry.

Posts: 2 | Location: New Brunswick Free Public Library, New Brunswick NJ | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Poetry!" Yes. Indeed!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would be surprised how many kids pick up a Bradbury book from the school library and just take it home and read it.

A lot. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many of them bring it back?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
How many of them bring it back?

How did you find out? Oh - that wasn't directed at me - nevermind.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post