Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Hi Nard...How has he truly inspired you...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Nard...How has he truly inspired you...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I just had my annual weep session watching the Alastair Simm version of "A Christmas Carol".

We just saw the 1938 Reginald Owen version - terrific as well, although the Sim version would have to be considered the classic, would it not?

Do you know, Lionel Barrymore had played Scrooge on the radio in the thirties for years, and was considered by most to be the Scrooge, and when this film was planned, it was planned around him. Alas, he suffered an injury on the set of a film and was put in a wheelchair, rendering him useless as Scrooge.

Rather than scrap the project, the studio went ahead with it (they had invested too much in it at this time), and Barrymore himself recommended Owen, who was great.

Remember him as Admiral Boom in Mary Poppins?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I just had my annual weep session watching the Alastair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol".

How many of us know that near the end of his life Sim maintained a correspondence with Ray Bradbury?

Might be an interesting question to put to Ray, what this correspondence was all about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post