Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Solitude vs. Book Clubs

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solitude vs. Book Clubs
 Login/Join

posted
Good editorial about the love of reading and 451. I've never belonged to a book club but discussing great work with friends can be thought-provoking. I prefer, though, a solitary, intimate read.
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/5147908.htm

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see them as mutually exclusive. Why not read in the glory of solitude and THEN discuss in a group setting?

This gives you the best of both worlds, it seems to me.

Good article. Nice read.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the article, too. I love to be alone when I read, as I'm too easily distracted with others around, but I also belong to a book club which is great fun. When others in the club have totally different ideas than me it never "ruins" things for me. Instead, I enjoy hearing the different points of view. Try it some time, it's really a fun way to share the love of books.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper:::

You have serious people talking about different points of view. What gets unnerving here is when Non-Serious people disrupt the postings....

Been a while since I linked up to a serious group of readers, or people that loved to analyze points of view that the author held. Belonged to a group in Chicago held at George Price's apartment. This serious fellow devised several volumes of Science Fiction author biographies.

Like everything, time goes by fast. You meet those times again but differently.. To re-live it is tedious, and often depressing. To find something new, to re-start things, is being alive again.

Think about this: These postings are unimaginable not that many years ago...

Because....it's reading type and typing back...and reading type typing back...like a living newspaper column.... How strange is that?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post