Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Coming in late here but...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coming in late here but...
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, I am 40 years old and I am reading, listening to an audio book really, Farenheit 451 for the first time. Yeah for the first time. I missed that one in highschool I guess.
People have been telling me for, well for my whole life I think, that I think too much. That I should just look for the little things in life to be happy about. Three weeks ago I broke and decided to believe them. I thought, "Alright, I think too much. I will simply try to embrace lifes little pleasures without giving it all a lot of thought."
Monday night I go to the library and take out the audio book version of "Farenheit 451" and start listening to it. Ray Bradbury is a friggin' prophet. This book is now. NOW! The people who are telling me that I think too much are Millie. Going home to watch all their "reality shows" in place of living reality? I don't know, but I am thinking about it.
Ray Bradbury took me by the hand and told me that not only was it okay to think about and consider our lives and the universe from a philisophical level, but it is necessary to live. To really be alive. He saved me from the "Mildreds" of the world.
George Bush and the rest of the political machine are making this book a reality. Don't think, don't read anything but the Christian bible. Don't think. Just watch your TV. Your big screen TV that takes up the whole wall. Why not get four of them, one for each wall? Why not?
It is creepy. I also should say, I watch the Aprentice every thursday. They do have a piece of me.
In the book, who are "They"? "They" are "us" aren't "They"?

Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: Rowley, MA USA | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I have ALLWAYS been told I think too far into things, and that it makes me too worried. Reading 451 I felt that this guy knows how I feel. And it is very scary how right Bradbury was; it's just happened sooner then he might have expected.

Posts: 38 | Location: wilmington, DE, USA | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its his only non fantasy book right?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you shouldnt always listen to what other people say if you want to think to far about things then do it but also try to have some fun and accept certain things as they come.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoDo:
its his only non fantasy book right?

Actually, much of what Bradbury writes could not be classified exactly as fantasy or even science fiction, but it is literature in all cases.

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that when Bradburry wrote this book, he probablly thought that he was writing a "fantasy". It still is not completely reality, although it is looking more like it as time goes on.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been here in a while, but man, this groupee nonsense is a hassle.
Ray has, I believe, publically stated that he considers F451 to be his only "science fiction" book. By that, I believe he means something that could really happen based on the universe as we currently know it.
He considers many of the books like Martian Chronicles and Something Wicked to be fantasy.

Posts: 14 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post