Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Letter to All
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Letter to All
 Login/Join

posted
Hello to all.

My name is Lance Hawvermale. I was the second person ever to register on these forums. I remember my thrill at having found Ray Bradbury on the web. You see, I am now a professional writer, and I owe much of my success to Ray. Since my first initial postings on these boards, I have existed in what Internet parlance refers to as a �lurker.� That is, I�ve come here often to read the discussions and marvel at how many of you have become members, but I�ve seldom added my own thoughts to this fine parliament of Bradbury scholars and admirers. I have lurked. You might called me, �The One Who Waits.�

I suppose the purpose of this letter is threefold. First I would like publicly to thank Ray for the inspiration he has directly and indirectly supplied. When I wrote him, he set aside the time to reply. In his letter, he encouraged me to keep writing, so as not to be dead. Shortly thereafter my agent landed my first book deal (written under the pseudonym of Erin O�Rourke). My second novel is due out in July. I have also acquired several magazine credits, as well as many credits in the fantasy hobby trade. So thanks, Ray, for your letter and kind remarks.

Indirectly he has inspired me with his rampant collision of words. The first time words ever took me by the hair and shook my head is when I encountered Something Wicked This Way Comes. Or rather, it encountered me. Slammed into me, actually. No one in the modern age cobbles words together in such a way, where nouns become adjectives and the metaphors clatter out like coins from a winning slot machine. For pure descriptive powers, for an unshakable sense of atmosphere, no one comes close. Bradbury as an eighty-year-old writes with the verve and elastic memory of a young man, as if his body is just a bicycle and he�s still the bright-eyed lad pedaling it at wild speeds down a Dublin alley. Again, thanks, Ray.

Secondly, I want to say how thrilled I am to find so many students of literature on these boards. Sometimes the discussions are quite fascinating, and I applaud those who take the time to explore some of Bradbury�s more obscure themes. Heaven knows I�ve been poking around these themes long enough by myself that it�s a joy to see others doing the same. I�ve learned a lot, both as a writer and a thinker, and I hope to continue learning as I press on in life as a novelist and as a man. Commercial fiction will pass away; by definition it must. But literature will endure. A hundred years from now�when settlers are stalking the red dusts of Mars�no one will read the Hugo-winning Red Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson because its science fiction will have given way to science reality, though they will continue to stay up late with The Martian Chronicles because those are stories built upon human mythology and what it means to be alive. I can only hope that one day a similar monument will arrive at the best of my own humble pen.

Finally, let us remember to do what we have come here to do: delight in the works. It is not for us to cross swords with those who seek only to contend, and not to discuss. Ignore them. When you see their remarks, imagine that their words are the closing credits of a film at a theatre in Dublin, and it is your challenge to sprint to safety as fast as you possibly can before the dreaded anthem commences. Don�t take time to chat with them! Don�t even utter a word! You have better things to do with your time.

Racing you all to the door,

Lance

Posts: 81 | Location: Somewhere in the Southwest, USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lance, bless your heart. You have recommended (in a far more articulate way than I ever could) exactly what I have done...ignore those who are posting here in order to rabble rouse and engage in name calling, rather than to celebrate the life and work of this fine gentleman, Mr. Bradbury, which is what this site is all about. Now, if only everyone here who loves and admires Ray will take your advice....

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice post, Lance. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go, Lance! See him run! See him WIN!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A touch of sanity on a board that has gone temporarily, and I stress temporarily, insane.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats right everyone....just close your eyes and cover your ears....maybe all the bad people asking questions and making you think twice about idolizing someone you dont even know will just go away!!!

And just so you know....i wont go away....

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine: Another bad assumption. Many of us here know Bradbury and are very, very familiar with his works. Why do you assume no one here knows him?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

I think Thormachine assumes no one here knows Bradbury because he couldn't be bothered to become familiar with this board. He seems more interested in showing up late to the game, posting his screeds, then basking in the sunshine of his superior intelligence.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete: I've never seen so many irrational posts in my life. I'd be embarrassed. By the way, thormachine says he won't go away, but I don't notice him answering any direct questions, either. He appears to just want to rant and run. Very typical.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 06-25-2004).]

posted Hide Post
i would be happy to answer questions if questions were asked of me....all ive gotten so far is snooty bullshit and censorship.....

your dismissal of me because i havent been rattling around this board for god knows how long is just as childish and close minded as the ageism that others of your fold have shaken their fists at.

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

Well, Mr. Dark asked: Why assume that no one on this board knows Bradbury?

Okay. You've been asked. Your answer?

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as with most famous people.....there are some that know them and a lot that say they know them from talking to said person at a book signing for 5 minutes or having a brief email conversation with said famous person about some mildly irritating fan-fiction they wrote.....these people do not impress me....if there are people here that actually know Ray Bradbury personally....then i stand corrected and i would love to see what they think about all this buzz.....i especially dont like it when people assume that i am some sort of crazy Michael Moore nut for coming on to this forum with questions ready......

posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

Some of the posters on this site know Bradbury better than you characterize. But, I'll admit, that's not necessarily clear if you're a new arrival.

But if you took a quick look at your posts, you might understand some who confuse you with, to use your words, a Michael Moore nut.

It's obvious you're passionate about your point of view. It's just that you may not be aware of how you come across.

Best,

Pete

[This message has been edited by pterran (edited 06-25-2004).]

posted Hide Post
thanks pete, but i am well aware that i come across as a bit bullheaded...but ya know what....im fine with that....i would rather be taken as a bit pushy than be taken as someone who is easily pushed....

i dont think i quite understand what you are saying in the first sentence of your post....is that in regards to my comment about people knowing Bradbury? maybe you could rephrase that.....

thanks,
Thor

posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

No. I thank you. I've edited the post so now it's more clear. (I'm barely able to keep up with you this evening so didn't look things over before I posted. Sorry 'bout that.)

I don't have any problem with pushy. By all means, push away.

Best,

Pete