Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury Moments
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Moments
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
This says it all about Mr. Electrico and Mr. Bradbury's understanding of Love for Life: Listen carefully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3sCmKCB70

(Doug's sculpture update sent me looking for this previously discussed video - just as important today, maybe more so!)

It's wonderful, although it's just b-roll we shot with the cheaper camera while the interview was actually being filmed (with the good camera!).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right off the screen from an RB Theater episode:
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/p...photo-151140094.html

...as "The Pedestrian!" comes to an end!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FAxgSgp_eU

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very intriguing video that brings recollections of F451 (technology capable of moving about the city pre-programed to collect info) and then in the final few minutes...."The City!"
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/04/...ng-robots/index.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First RB seminar (of three this month) presented today. The metaphors were (literally) flying all over the place. Our setting is a very high tech distance learning classroom at a university near my home. Fifteen participants with many RB stories and inspirations. My not being in the classroom these past several months was quickly compensated for by the wonderful energy that filled our two hours of exchanges.

Thanks, Phil *The NEA Big Read Discussion was a fine addition. Others topics: Golden Apples, Drummer Boy, F451, DWine (one gentleman trained at the Naval Base!), and Chicago Abyss (everyone is old enough to recognize ALL of the allusions!). Quite a range of themes, but all connected by the magic of Mr. B!

posted Hide Post
I'm pleased to hear it went well, fjp. It must make a change to have older students in your class!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, adults are obviously tuned in, primarily because they are there by choice and have life experiences that relate closely to the themes. (My "other teaching field" is always a focused environment because of the high interest and constant movement occurring throughout lessons.) HS lit can be a game of chess even on the good days!

The greatest challenge in the public school setting is the varied home experiences and how they have influenced the youths' learning and literacy. If teen years have been reached and the support was meager... difficulties are prominent.

My library "Banned Books" and RB encounters (adult and upper class HS students) continue to be well-received. I think I may be getting inspired to develop a curriculum with such audiences solely in mind. Thanks Mr. B. Here we go again!

posted Hide Post
quote:
DWine (one gentleman trained at the Naval Base!...

I trained at Great Lakes, myself!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS: Question was raised, "How long ago was the base established related to RB's childhood days '20-30's?"

posted Hide Post
quote:
DS: Question was raised, "How long ago was the base established related to RB's childhood days '20-30's?"

I do not know its history, I just wanted to get out of there!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Built between 1905 and 1911, the buildings would have had time to mellow a bit before he saw them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N..._Station_Great_Lakes

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This from a member of the adult seminars now underway:
http://www.cthreepo.com/bookb/bradbury.shtml

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Finished the third seminar on Mr. B at a local university today. Sessions were scheduled for an hour and a half, but all ran longer since members of class brought countless questions, references, parallels, and original RB experiences with them to each gathering.

Today concluded with the a few pages from 451, which ironically contained the now even more famous line: “Books leapt and danced like roasted birds, their wings ablaze with red and yellow feathers.” I was tying in Montag's progression from "It was a pleasure to burn" to his quoting the Bible as he heads to the city with the other Book People.

Finally, a view (RBTh) of Deanna Durbin singing tears into the eyes of the Sprinters from the Four Provinces Pub. Ah, what a beauty she was. (From a follow up, it was discovered Miss Durbin, now 90yrs. young, lives is Winnipeg.) Poetic humor from the Irish Tales!

Great group! Many are RB bound more intensely in the coming weeks, as indicated by comments that books had been purchased and numerous titles noted.

A nice package headed to Mr. Bradbury with thanks for his inspiration and imagination! Celebrating RB is a always a privilege and a pleasure.

(phil, your early comments assisted in the presentations.)
f

posted Hide Post
Sounds great, fjp. One day you should get a video camera in one of your classes so we can all join in!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspired by Ray Bradbury Stories: "He was very encouraging!"
Sound very familiar! (I recently shared, with the members of the seminars just concluded, all of the messages, drawings, cards, and pictures received from Mr. B! Pretty amazing...really!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCojqd2OBc