Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Inspired summer of 1957

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inspired summer of 1957
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

Myself and my wife were sorting through some books belonging to my parents. In our search we discovered a copy of 'The Golden Apples of the Sun' with the following inscription inside the front cover.

"For Sandy and Bettine with thanks for your part in making summer 1957 really memorable, best always from Ray Bradbury. Aug. 16, 1957"

Sadly, my parents both died in the 1990's, I myself was born in 1960 so this whole piece of my parents life history is missing. I would love to know what made those memories of the summer of 1957.

If this message could be passed to Mr Bradbury I would delighted, I'm sure he would like to receive this.

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paging Mr. Sam Weller! He'd be most qualified to supply an answer.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sonoffriend (and Dandelion, too!)

Ray was in London throughout the summer of 1957 working on the screenplay for "And the Rock Cried Out" with director Sir Carol Reed. He left for Rome just days after he signed the book to your parents. Your parents must have been in England at the time.

I was so intrigued by your heartfelt story and the mystery of your parents life before you arrived on the scene that I just called Ray. Their first names certainly sounded familiar to him. Ray's instinct was that they were somehow working with Sir Carol Reed, but he wants to know their last name. If you don' want to post it, email it to me at mr.electrico@comcast.net.

Thanks for the great story! And hello to all of my freinds on the RB Message Board!

Best,

Sam Weller

Posts: 48 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sonoffriend

That IS a great story. It becomes more important as we learn more of the details surrounding the ''notations''.

Good to hear, tho it's only occasionally, from you Sam.

_______

A couple of notes:

One...
... is that I talked briefly on the phone with writer Algis Budrys today. For those who have read him and appreciated his works, with novels such as 'Rogue Moon', it is another story of life bearing down as we get older. A.J.Budrys is now wheel- chair confined, unable to walk due to a vicious strain of diabetes. He gave me the name but I wasn't familiar with it and what I wrote down was about every other letter. Sad most of all, Algis said he has stopped all his writing. Period.
If anyone wishes to write him with some sort of encouragements, email me at .... nofidlstix@comcast.net..... and I'll give you his address. He would love to hear from you!
---( SAM W: Did you know that Algis Budrys taught writing at Columbia College, in Chicago, for a spell?)---

Also:

The RESOURCES...seems to be sticking again. Talked with the 'webmaster' in New York middle of last week and was told that the entire site would probably be put on a server with more memory. Gosh darn! What gives?
I'd hate to think someone is playing around with the mechanics of the site in some devilish way.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Thanks for giving us some news about Algis, sad though it is. I haven't read a lot of his works, but his short stories are often beautifully crafted, and his characters some of the most human in all of SF.

It's a shame he isn't able to write any more, but he can certainly be proud of what he has achieved.

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post