Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    indigestible
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

indigestible
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
h.r.-

Was that our(www.raybradbury.com) first Louie Prima impersonation?

I have a version of that song by Prima with Lionel on the vibes. I wish the radio played that kind of stuff.

And vintage reggae/ska also. "Al Capone's guns don't argue." -Prince Buster

Oh, and I know it will pass. Actually it may be good for the dems, the greens, and all us other libs, treehuggers, and fuzzyheads in the long run.

Ever since reading Olaf Stapledon's LAST AND FIRST MEN I've been able to accept the fact that history will run it's course.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 11-07-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll jump onto this sidetracking train to let those of you who only recall Nat King Cole as a singer know that he was also fantastic pianist! Lots of the early trio stuff has been re-released and is worth checking out.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, they do play that kind of stuff out here in good 'ol El Lay. Try KLAC AM 570 if you can get it on the computer!

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dial-up connection won't bring me a constant stream of music from the radio.

In Sac-Town we do have a fairly decent jazz station, but no Louie Prima. The station did turn me onto a great San Francisco jazz guitarist named Joyce Cooling, and she's a she. She does a great tune called Mm-Mm GOOD with Al Jarraue and an even better one called DADDY-O. I give her my highest possible rating, 11.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I play that kind of stuff myself!
One of my many non-marketable talents.
(Used to play jazz for a living, then got married, had kids...)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains:
Although Louie P is known for his explosive nonsense syllables, I don't think that's him on the record. I know only 2 versions of the song, one by Lionel H and his band, the other by Tex Benecke with the Glenn Miller Orchestra. If that's Louie P fronting as vocalist for Lionel you'll have to prove it to me, like by quoting the written material in the CD.

Incidentally, I DJ the 30's and 40's on Friday nights at the bar; spend all my spare change on books and CD's. But there's still so much I'd buy if I had the dough-re-mi.

Apropo of nothing that passed above, I'd like to share an e-mail I received from Benin, in Africa. It seems my relative M. Rousseau was killed in an automobile accident in Zaire, leaving $12.6 million. If only I would help out with the attorneys' fees . . .

Posts: 34 | Location: houston | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Continuing on with h.rosseau's thoughts. A great book that takes the theme of an attorney planning to make a lot of money by being the point of transfer of a larger sum of money is in a great book by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., called, "God Bless You Mr. Rosewater". One of my favorite books.

The opening line of the book is:

"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees."

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
h.r.-

It's a downloaded song I got off of WinMX. I have no info on it other than the fact I did get it off of a Lionel Hampton search, I just assumed that was Prima on vocals. It sounds dead-on like him. Who is it you know as being credited with those vocals?

My mother and father were big fans of his when they were dating in the early 60's. Prima had a steady gig at a nite club in L.A. and that was their favorite "spot".

For those not in the know, Louie Prima was(among other things) the voice of King Louie in Disney's THE JUNGLE BOOK. That song he did, I WANNA BE LIKE YOU(The Monkey Song), is a good example of the music Prima did in real life and that segment of the cartoon is a good representation of his stage act. He spent as much time dancing among the guests as he did on the stage.