Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Halloween Seedling

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Halloween Seedling
 Login/Join

posted
Mog the Dog here.

All trees must be seedlings first, even Halloween trees.

In my morning wanderings out into the garden, I happened upon such a seedling:

It's the first time I've ever seen a pumpkin vine growing straight up into the air of its own accord. I wonder how high it will find itself before the weight of its fruit brings it back down to earth.

Upon witnessing such a sight as this, the chickens-turned-vultures await anxiously in the background for Halloween to be within pecking distance.

Patience, my sweet little laying hens. Patience!

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MogTheDog, why did you have to post the photos now? You have set off additional question(s)of 1) how high will the vine grow before bending [get your tape measure handy] 2) how many weeks will it take before said bending commences, and 3) will the plant need a stake to survive to ripeness?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
MogTheDog, why did you have to post the photos now? You have set off additional question(s)of 1) how high will the vine grow before bending [get your tape measure handy] 2) how many weeks will it take before said bending commences, and 3) will the plant need a stake to survive to ripeness?

Heh...heh...heh...

If my pumpkin vine wishes to reach for the stars, I simply must help it build the ladder. So, I've staked the vine so that it can continue its vertical journey. Only my Halloween seedling knows how long it will take to become a tree.

Stay tuned...

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog, this is so great! Way back when, in the Bicentennial year, one of the major seed companies, I think it was Ferry-Morse, put out a leaflet telling how to grow pumpkins (in this case, Connecticut Field) the way the early colonists did. I still have this leaflet--somewhere! They also said that pumpkins could be grown on a trellis or fence, just like other gourds. If you give your pumpkin a nice strong support, I don't think there's any danger of it dragging the vine down to the ground--those little squiggly trndrils are very strong, and will support your pumpkin easily. I see the little one there, in your picture. Best of luck, and I expect you to keep us posted on its growth, and the JoL to follow!

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Viktoria,

Mog the Dog here. Thanks for the information on growing vertical pumpkins. I'll do some studying up on it.

My Halloween Seedling has grown 5 inches upward in the past two days. If it keeps up at that rate, my Halloween Tree will be 14 feet tall come October 31st.

posted Hide Post
I love squash blossoms...dusted with panko flower, stuffed with a 50/50 mix of goat cheese and Greek yogurt, then sautéed in butter.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I love squash blossoms...dusted with panko flower, stuffed with a 50/50 mix of goat cheese and Greek yogurt, then sautéed in butter.

Yumm!

I counted over 40 male squash blossoms in my morning wanderings into the garden. I'm sure the mother vines won't miss a few of them.

I am looking forward to trying out your recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

MTD

posted Hide Post
JKT, you're trying to make me hungry aren't you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gah! i want one! >_<

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post