Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ha all, new here.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ha all, new here.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Ray Bradbury, but I've definitley been inspired by him, so I figure this is a good place to introduce myself.

I'm almost 36, but I only really discovered Ray about 7 years ago. I've always enjoyed the Christmas and Halloween seasons and I've been a big fan of 'A Christmas Carol' and 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' since I was young. I discovered Ray Bradbury when I had been reading some of Dickens other Christmas stories and wanted to read more Halloween themed stories. I did some google searching which led me to 'The Halloween Tree' and 'Something Wicked this Way Comes'.

To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.

Since then I've been reading and collecting books by Bradbury, and books about or in tribute to him, and its been a great journey so far.

I've enjoyed reading ever since I was young, mostly high fantasy and science fiction, later literary fiction and biography/memoirs, but I've always read primarily for the story and characters. Now Bradbury has taught me through his use of language, metaphor, and symbolism, to appreciate the art of writing, which has added a whole new level of enjoyment to reading for me.

My background is in science but in the last couple years my interest in Ray Bradbury, his books, and his writing style, has steadily grown. This has inspired me to study the art of literature, starting with his, as a hobby. If I'm being honest, I'm not really sure what that journey looks like, but I've been enjoying reading and collecting books and articles by him, about him, or in tribute to him, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

My favorite book is 'From the Dust Returned'. For me, it has a bit of everything I like best about Ray's writing. The darkness of 'The October Country', the joy and freedom of youth from 'Dandelion Wine, the old and young coming to terms with age, life, and death like 'Something Wicked this way Comes', and the loss of the nostalgic tradition to modern distraction like 'Fahrenheit 451', all wrapped up in a blanket of bittersweet melancholy like 'The Martian Chronicle's'.

I'm looking forward to talking more about my favorite writer and his books with you all. I've lurked the forums briefly and already I see one author who lives on my book shelf, and a host of a podcast which I only recently discovered, but very much enjoy. It looks like a great community you all have here, thanks for keeping it, as long as it took me to find it.

"If they live forever. why not me?"

-Timothy in From the Dust Returned

Posts: 5 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 21 April 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JoshV, welcome to the Board! It sounds like you've got a great start in your reading of the work of Ray Bradbury. The very first Bradbury book I ever read was THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, which contains some of Ray's best short stories. A very wise school librarian handed that collection to me when I was looking for something to read back in the seventh grade (a very long time ago). I still remember her saying to me as she pulled the book off the shelf, "I think you'll enjoy this." That was an understatement. That book made me a Bradbury fan for life...I haven't been the same since. If you haven't read it yet, I would strongly recommend it.

Like you, Ray very much admired the work of Charles Dickens. One year, I gave him a first edition of the Dickens novella CRICKET ON THE HEARTH as a gift, which pleased him greatly. And Ray paid "homage" of sort to Dickens by calling one of his short stories "Cricket on the Hearth", a tale about the bugging of the home of a Hollywood producer.

Hope you have a chance to explore the Board. It's been around a while and, as I like to say, contains a lot of good "stuff". Again, welcome.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome Richard!

Yes, I think I've read most of what people would generally consider the, "Essential Ray Bradbury" at this point, but I'm still enjoying his other stuff just as much.

I'm actually reading GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN right now as part of TWICE 22, about halfway through it and enjoying it so far, it includes a good number of his well known classics.

I haven't heard of Ray's Cricket on the Hearth story, but a quick Google search tells me it's included in ONE MORE FOR THE ROAD. I just ordered a copy of that one yesterday morning, funny coincidence.

Thanks again for the welcome!

"If they live forever. why not me?"

-Timothy in From the Dust Returned

Posts: 5 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 21 April 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm reading Dandelion Wine right now and talking about it with a friend as we read. We both read it 15 or 20 years ago. There is so much I have forgotten about the story. I am enjoying it more this second time for sure.

I would have to say that The October Country is my favorite Bradbury collection. After that I really enjoy Something Wicked This Way Comes, Dandelion Wine, and Fahrenheit 451.

The biggest surprise was how much I enjoyed Death is a Lonely Business. I did not anticipate liking that story as well, since I'm a big fan of Green Town.

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always great to hear from those who appreciate Ray's work!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post