Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A do-over: The Martian Chronicles-the movie
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A do-over: The Martian Chronicles-the movie
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Maybe so. But, it would be difficult. To do a movie version of the book, it would take a very long period of time. And the rersult would be either a very long movie, or a very long mini-series. Those that I have spoken with say that when The Martian Chronicles is mentioned, they immediately think of the NBC mini-series. I think it's just best to leave Ray's classic alone and enjoy both the book and the 1979 mini-series for what they both are. That's just my opinion.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would like to see "The Homecoming". That's always been one of my (many) favorites.
Speaking of movies and authors, may I get a little off topic? Asimov's Robots are in another movie! Anybody as happy as I am?

Clay

AIM = Tilt Boss

Posts: 17 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asimov's robots...is that what I-ROBOT is about!? I was wracking my brain trying to figure out who would make a movie based on some crappy album by the Alan Parsons Project!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tilt Boss--I was happy to see this book (I, Robot)is being made into a movie. I saw the littlest bit of preview for it, and I can't wait to see it. Will Smith is the star, and I usually enjoy his work. Also, the three rules idea has always fascinated me.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like some of Asimov's book, but Harlan Ellison's screenplay turned it into a work of genius. I'm saddened to learn that the forthcoming movie is not taken from Ellison's script - surely one of the greatest missed opportunities in movie history.

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think MC could ever be brought to the Big Screen. It's a collection of short stories loosely tied together. I think the mini-series format would still be the best.

If it was made into a Big Screen, Big Production, All-Star Cast Movie several of the stories would have to be nixed and then something added to tie all the ones remaining together. The "Eye Candy" may be stunning, but I think us true fans would hate it.

Maybe it would be best to just leave it alone. If I was a movie producer, I wouldn't touch it, seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 03-10-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've watched this thread about The Martian Chronicles, but haven't contributed much to the debate. Until now...

On the one hand, I can see MC being done on a grand scale, much like How The West Was Won. Big scenery (the whole planet mars), little snap shot stories of key figures.

On the other hand, much of MC is really quirky. Although I like stories such as "The Earthmen", I don't really like the idea of them being up on a big screen, as there is too much risk of the humour falling flat, of viewers and critics laughing at it rather than with it. (Strangely enough, that humourless TV series Ray Bradbury Theater actually managed to make "The Earthmen" work.)

Although I largely detest the old TV mini-series of MC, I was delighted by the attempt to unify some of the stories by swapping characters around, and allowing characters from early in the book survive through to later plots. I suspect any successful adaptation of MC for the movies would have to use this device, and substantially contract the multiple episodes of the book. The successful screenwriter would have to find certain bits to cling to: the closing scene of "Million-Year Picnic" is a must; "Soft Rains" is quite essential. But would we really need to see so many failed expeditions?

Actually, I dread to think what the average Hollywood hack would do to the book, so let's not lobby for it to be filmed!

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were only three failed expeditions, but I think they're well worth showing just to convey the fight the Martians put up against the Earthmen. That makes the fourth expedition that much more bittersweet when we learn that it was chickenpox that devastated the Martians in the end.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree about the true value of the failed expeditions - I was just trying to think as a movie producer might think. What works well in a novel could be very repetitive in a movie.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
this wasnt in the chronicles, and it contradicts a whole lot of stuff, but how about, in some way, maybe a short film of "The Cement Mixer?" its probably my favorite short story, or maybe a sound of thunder is, but, oh well. just an opinion

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is actually the main character of the cement mixer. ALSO. i saw a long trailer of I, Robot and it looks alot like Men In Black, unfortunately. and the robots seem evil, and it doesnt look like it will have any of the short stories in it. oh well. i think its great you guys are thinking about an MC movie. make it old fashioned, please. but not so people laugh at it.................. this is gonna be hard..........

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Cement Mixer" was done on "Ray Bradbury Theater" with Ben Cross as Ettil. As I recall, it was one of the better ones.

There's been unofficial talk of a "Martian Chronicles II" to incorporate all the stories which didn't quite fit in MC. So far we haven't even quite listed them all.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's quite a few stories unsued from TMC that I cannot remember the exact count. If there is to be another production of The Martian Chronicles, why not handle it the same way that both V and V - The Final Battle were? Two seperate mini-series by NBC and the same people (production, actors, sfx, filmmcrew, etc) who worked on the original 1979 production. Granted that sounds like a long shot, but it could be done in that directorial form. Especially with some new actors intermixed with the surviving actors from the original six hour mini-series.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never saw the miniseries. i did see however the "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" miniseries. a little off topic though. anyway, i trust your opinions.

posted Hide Post
Another idea I thought about concerning those missing story elements would be something along the lines of what George Lucas did for the original Star Wars trilogy.
Michael Anderson could shoot some additional scenes and somehow edit them into the original mini-series. Basically the NBC production would be more than six hours long and could be released as a Special Edition. With today's technology and CGI effects, that could be done without much difficulty. It's something to think about.