Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Happy Anniversary of Your Birth Friend Ray!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Anniversary of Your Birth Friend Ray!
 Login/Join

posted
Moments ago I rediscovered a birthday poem I wrote for Ray in 1994 and sent to him. I suddenly realized that August 22nd is today.

I just re-read that poem to my wife and she was delighted. She remembered how much joy that she, I and our daughter felt whenever Ray would send us a letter of response to something I had written to him. He was always encouraging.

Through this forum I came to realize, many years ago, that he corresponded with so many people. What a generous-hearted creative genius he was!

In the summer of 1988, in Paris, France, by "chance" I met Ray in the W.H. Smith English language bookstore. He referred to the latest letters we had exchanged, we spoke briefly. Two days later I met him again. He was seated at a sidewalk cafe and motioned me over to join him. We spent hours there talking (I mostly listened). It was extraordinary to meet with this magical man in such a way after having exchanged letters from afar since 1976.

We miss you friend Ray. You became a great and celebrated writer, much admired, but you never lost touch with your roots.

Greetings to all fellow Bradbury people.

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 21 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post