Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Introduction

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Introduction
 Login/Join

posted
Hello fellow book eaters,

I thought since I intent to make myself known around here, and get to know you all, I might as well start off by introducing myself. I'm 20 years old and crazy. Just completely barking mad. I think you have to be, to fall in love with a novel like I have.

I first stumbled upon the Fahrenheit 451 DVD, and watched it merely for the purpose of seeing a movie I knew nothing about. I was smitten. Struck dumb. I set off to read the novel as soon as I could. I didn't read the book, no I consumed it. I'm a bit abashed to admit it was some of the best time I've yet had in my life (though, I am only 20.)

I've read other Ray Bradbury books since then, though I'm far from having enjoyed them all. When I peeked open the cover of a book of Bradbury short stories in the library, and saw the expansive list of books he has published, I nearly gave out a sob of pleasure.

Outside of the library, I’m an art student, with ambition of becoming an illustrator. When I finish my painting dedicated to Ray Bradbury, I will surly post photos here if you'd like. It shows Montag (not Oscar Werner per say, but my own image of him) with a pained (but strangely free) look on his face, grasping a burning book to his chest, while the flames lick them both.

I look forward to learning from you all, and hearing how you came across Ray's work, and it's impact on you.

-Obfuscate

"I hate a roman named status quo"

Posts: 1 | Location: CA | Registered: 05 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. You were surely struck at 20 as I was at 13. We look forward to further communications from you and glimpses of your work.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obfuscate, travel to Ireland to deal properly with Melville's leviathan, in RB's Green Shadows, White Whale. Sit side by side with the narrator as you speed down winding country roads, to arrive at the next small pub. Meet the Banshee and the Beggar on the Bridge! Laugh at the rush to get out the door with the Anthem Sprinters.

This book may also give you an appreciation for the man behind the stories. Though the young author's name in GS,WW is never actually mentioned, one presumes heavily (and correctly) it is Mr. B. His confrontation is not only with the big "fish" but also with the egomaniac cinema boss who lured him onboard in the first place.

As an up and coming artist, who already seems to be on fire (no, no... "Status Quo"), You may be captured by the emerald hills and all the fog, as well! (Me thinks.)

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?isbn=0380789663

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the peanut gallery!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post