Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Waukegan Mural

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waukegan Mural
 Login/Join

posted
Waukegan has a new mural which depicts people and events in the town's history. Ray is shown alongside the Carnegie library and Jack Benny.

Full story, with picture gallery, here:

http://newssun.suntimes.com/ph...x.html?story=8691509

(You have to click through to about the third pic to see Ray.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I hope it depicts that guy who invented the motion picture camera.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see:

Chief Black Hawk, leader of the Sauk people, circa 1832.

Flame and symbol honoring the region’s ancestral Potawatomi, also known as the “keepers of the fire.”

Canoe beneath the Waukegan bluff carrying European explorers Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet, who arrived in Waukegan in 1673.

Little Fort, the French trading post from which the city drew its Potawatomi name.

Abraham Lincoln, shown beardless as he was when he visited the city in April 1860.

Robert de LaSalle, French explorer of the Great Lakes region.

Jolliet.

Marquette.

Early Waukegan Harbor with fishing shanties.

Old Waukegan lighthouse.

Jane Addams, founder of Hull House in Chicago and Bowen Park in Waukegan.

Ramon Soto, pioneer Latino merchant.

Genesee Theatre.

Jim Harrington’s “Art Bus.”

Jack Benny, star of vaudeville, radio, television and film.

The Magniscope, inventor Edward Amet’s first practical 35mm film projector.

The Carnegie Library on Sheridan Road.

Ray Bradbury, author of “Fahrenheit 451” and “Dandelion Wine.”

Kate T. Cory, painter.

Silhouette of children looking toward the future.

Current Waukegan lighthouse.

Otto Graham, NFL Hall of Fame quarterback.

Jerry Orbach, star of Broadway, television and film.

Harrison Bankhead, musician.

Anita Padilla, television broadcaster.

Karcher Hotel.

Waukegan High School Bulldog.

[List taken from the NEWS-SUN web page.]

No camera inventor, but there is a PROJECTOR inventor. He probably sat around for years waiting for something to project, till Edison/Lumiere/LePrince did their thing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Let's see:

The Magniscope, inventor Edward Amet’s first practical 35mm film projector.

No camera inventor, but there is a PROJECTOR inventor. He probably sat around for years waiting for something to project, till Edison/Lumiere/LePrince did their thing.

That's the guy. Sometimes I use wrong word, very bad.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a wonderful mural. Every city or town should have one.

Here are a few more murals from around the world, but I think Waukegan's is still the best.

Wall Murals from Around the World

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our town has a couple but of course not near that good.