Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Cool quotes by Mr. Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool quotes by Mr. Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
"What is the function of mankind amidst the vast universe? To witness and celebrate! Look upon the Creator, the stunning terror of it all, and celebrate--otherwise, why are we here? What's the use of a universe that exists but is not seen? Your job is to see, to appreciate--but [also] to work, improve yourself, improve the world. We represent the flesh of the godhead, and we are beholden to the gift!"

I thought Nard would especially like this one.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gs: You have posted my favorite RB quote!

For others to contemplate on topics see: http://www.spaceagecity.com/bradbury/quotes.htm

"There is more than one way to burn a book."
Unfortunately, the book (as served up in F451) has through the past fifty years become a metaphor for so many other things in our cultures and traditions.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link fjp. There are so many to choose from, but here's a pretty good Zen-like one. In fact, I think this might come from "Zen in the Art of Writing".

"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living at risk is jumping off the cliff and building your wings on the way down.

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cloning is stupid, why clone when you can go to bed with someone and make a baby

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything you dream is fiction, and anything you accomplish is science, the whole history of mankind is nothing but science fiction.

I like his quotes because they are kind of inspiring.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going out with CALICHIC
Ms. Erickson is my teacher.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Myth, seen in mirrors, incapable of being touched, stays on. If it is not immortal, it almost seems such."

This is from the introduction to the Avon hardcover edition of "The Martian Chronicles". It goes to the power of mythology in story-telling to trescend specific periods in time and to tell stories that connect to the immortal realm of thought and creativity. Bradbury seems to share the idea of the collective unconscious with Jung where we have a shared species-specific sub-conscious that allows mythological stories and images to be shared on a level that goes beyond specific stories and reaches to something primodial in us. This arena is the arena of images, metaphors and ideas and is not hampered by the scientific realm of the material world. His fixation is on the mythological capabilities of literature, not the specific sciences of science fiction.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"unless he lived with it very well, he might have to live with it all the rest of his life." -Charles Halloway: Something Wicked...

We discussed this today in class and I feel we've all came to a point in our lives where we felt like this. Wishing we were older or wishing we could be 5 again...It all ends up the same way: Lost Time. The more we wish something that is never going to happen the more our time just passes us by until one day it's all gone!

Kali

Posts: 15 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of us are ready to graduate, but in ten years many of us will charish these times-- like the ride -- it seems right in the moment

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, we did discuss the quote "unless he lived with it very well, he might have to live with it all the rest of his life." -Charles Halloway:

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't get to finish what I was saying...I was saying that when you're young, you want to be old and visa versa. Will and Jim figured out that when going through the mirror maze sets your body at the age that you always wanted to be...But then going on the carousel ride sets it forever!! That's scarey

posted Hide Post
So if you could go through a mirror maze and then on a carousel to make your age permanent....would you? why or why not? If so, what age would you like to be?

posted Hide Post
I think the age 12 would be forever cool. Don't believe in Santa, but can still trick-or-treat.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"My stories run up and bite me on the leg-I respond by writing down everything that goes on during the bite. When I finish, the idea lets go and runs off."
-Ray Bradbury

I really like this quote, because it describes the story writing perfectly.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post