Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    How many books have you burnt (thrown away) in yr life?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many books have you burnt (thrown away) in yr life?
 Login/Join

posted
My answer: about 5 books (signature: Elisa)

Posts: 1 | Location: Europe | Registered: 08 November 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums.

None deliberately but I have some sad stories.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my weaknesses is that I hate throwing things away—books especially.

I keep books, even if I know I'll never read them, usually because they represent memories, or because they belonged to my parents, or whatever.

But on a very few occasions I have thrown away, or given away books. I gave several boxes of books away to charity when my life partner died in 2013, because I just had no interest in her type of books. I did keep a few that were useful or had sentimental value.

On other occasions I have given away duplicates of books, or outdated volumes of publications that are updated annually, like Leonard Maltin's movie guide. I have even thrown away books, for instance where they were really just catalogs or prospectuses.

But generally, I keep books.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mikewestphal>
posted
Deliberately chucked one book into the dumpster in the hopes that no one would ever read it. It was a collection of scary/weird stories, and it contained ONE STORY that was so gross/sick/anti-human by the odious Clive Barker that I sent the whole collection to burn. Call me the fireman.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Clive Barker, I don't blame you. I absolutely LOVED Scott Bakula from 1989-1995, when he starred in several projects I just couldn't stand, one being Lord of Illusions from 1995, written and directed by Barker, which I even saw in the theater. I have scarcely followed Bakula's work since, and I used to just LOVE him!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do throw away seriously damaged books but they have to be non-repairable even for use as parts to replace missing pages in other copies.

posted Hide Post
I bought one book I should have burned at the $1.00 table at the book sale when the oldest library in the state was going out of business, it was the Necro-something, maybe comicon, and it was all about The Black Goat of the Woods With a Thousand Young and some fishy thing called Cthulhu and how to call down hungry weirdies from other space-time continua, and I thought, Is this the kind of thing I'd want my daughters to read? and I said NO! so i decided to burn it in the largest open-pit volcano in Arkansas, Mt. Idy, but these shadow-things kept battering on my windows, I went anyway but the shadow-things grabbed at me every time I went to sleep and Gumby sat on me and held me down and SpongeBob tore it from my fingers so now strange lights flash over the skies of Arkansas and 3 sinister kings have arrived on the bus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike westphal,

Posts: 6 | Registered: 17 December 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
That first one! That's the book!

posted Hide Post
And that's why we need a border wall!

posted Hide Post
I am currently giving away as many duplicate books as I can find takers for.

posted Hide Post
This year I did destroy a book which had a binding error repeating some pages and leaving out others. I made sure I had a good copy first though.