Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Other books by Ray.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Other books by Ray.
 Login/Join

posted
As people on this website suggested I am wondering what other books there are by Ray that would be interesting to read. Any suggestions?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a look at all the books Ray has published on my website!

If you want long stories (novels), the best ones are probably THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. Possibly also DANDELION WINE, although I think adults might relate to this better.

If you want short stories, I recommend THE ILLUSTRATED MAN if you like science-fictional tales or THE OCTOBER COUNTRY if you don't like science fiction.

If you want to see pictures as you read, look for the graphic novel adaptations of SOMETHING WICKED and F451.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just looked up information on Something Wicked This Way Comes. I am actually going to check our school's library to see if they have it! It seems like an interesting book. I have read the Cirque De Freak books and this book in a way reminds me of them. I enjoyed those books very much. I need to explore new books by Ray. Dandelion, fjp451, and others have all suggested we read other books by him. I figured I would give it a try! Are these books similar to F51 and The Pedestrian, or are they not as much about the future?

I would also like to apologize. I am not sure if anything I have personally said has been offending in anyway. I appriciate you guys helping us during this project. Our project is officially over tomorrow, but as I read more books by Ray I would like to keep up with this website and be welcomed. Thank you for being supportive of us!

Posts: 11 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something Wicked This Way Comes

zb: A great selection. (Chap 31 holds a classic RB twist...)

The Book's title is a quote that comes, of course, from MacBeth - Act IV, scii

Witch:
By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes. [Knocking]
Open locks,
Whoever knocks!

[Enter Macbeth]
Macbeth:
How now, you secret, black, and midnight hags!
What is't you do?

Very ironically, I am presently listening to this on disc (as we drive).

When you finish, be sure to view the movie with Jason Robards
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086336/

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zb56:
I would also like to apologize. I am not sure if anything I have personally said has been offending in anyway.

Thanks. As a guideline, every post I moved or edited, I noted why. (When a post was entirely deleted, I also noted that the poster was warned.) If yours were either not edited at all or no objections were noted, you weren't one of the offending ones.

I appreciate your apology but do find it sad that only two kids, and those among the non-offending part of the class, apologized when both I personally and the entire board deserved formal apologies on behalf of both the class and the school. Unfortunately that's what life in the 21st Century is coming to. It's the official, "Dude, get over it" generation.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read "F451" and "The pedestrian" I noticed some similarities. One was that they were both about a character that didn't follow everyone else in the book. Mead didn't sit at home watching tv, He went out and walked every night. Guy didn't believe in burning books like the rest of the people in the book did, so he started taking them and reading them. I was wondering, are all his other books about people who go against something thats wrong? I think it's a great thing that he's writting about stuff like that becuase it teaches to follow what you believe in not what others say or tell you to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DW1109,

Posts: 6 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zb56:
...Are these books similar to F51 and The Pedestrian, or are they not as much about the future?

Hi zb56. SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is set in the 1920s or 1930s. It's about a couple of kids in a small town and their encounter with a strange travelling carnival. It's not at all futuristic.

The two Bradbury books that would be closest to FAHRENHEIT 451 and "The Pedestrian" are probably these:

THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES - this is about people fom Earth going off to explore the planet Mars. They find that Mars is inhabited by Martians (of course!) who manage to resist the explorers/invaders. Eventually, at about the fourth attempt, Earth people are able to land and explore... only to find that they have inadvertently wiped out the Martians by bringing disease from Earth. The book is somewhat futuristic, but it is really a re-telling of the European "conquest" of the Americas! I would say it's less technology-based than F451, and certainly has some highly poetic sections. MARTIAN CHRONICLES doesn't have a continuous plot or characters like F451 - its chapters are more like separate short stories. Some people find it easier to read because of this (although people who like long complicated plots would be turned off by this).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post