Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Famous Stan and Babe Steps
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Famous Stan and Babe Steps
 Login/Join

posted
From the "other board"...
I found some things (q.v.) regarding the "Music Box" steps, including the plaque that Mr. Bradbury was instrumental in having placed there!
On this site, there's a wee clip of the boys struggling:

http://members.aol.com/sons2222/Box.html

ImageMusicBoxStepPlaque.jpg (31 Kb, 16 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the steps today. In the film, there wasn't anything on either side...

ImageMusicBoxSteps.jpg (24 Kb, 18 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back I purchased a double cd of the L&H sound tracks from their movies. I sent a copy to Mr. B. He returned a very gracious card to us upon receiving. He indicated he had been deeply moved by our thoughts of him and especially by the music, undoubtedly because of the personal significance it had in his life. This is evident in the step and related article Br2 so kindly attached! It all comes back to me in this post string.

Though L & H were many years before my time, I loved the Saturday tv reruns as a kid. Here is a link from the above:
Enjoy the beauty and trip back in time ~
http://members.aol.com/rlewis1010/catalogue3.htm

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Specifically per address above: once opened on the left of the page, click on "Music Soundtracks" and then play samples as offered.

("Edits" for me are nada y nada!)

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
If they said to Billy Gilbert today, “Why—don’t—you—walk—around?”, he probably couldn’t do it. What a difference!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
Regarding your post of 25 April 2006 07:41 AM where you state that “there wasn’t anything on either side.” I watched it the other day and realized that the building on the right is there but only goes about half way up the hill, so there are scenes where there is a large lawn on either side, but they were shot further up. The building on the left is newer than the film however. Originally I remembered it as you did and was surprised to see that building on the right.

I watched it with my thirty-year-old son by the way and he was rolling. The scene were the nurse clocks Stan really got him—and the scene in the house when Billy Gilbert is hollering and so animated that his hair starts flying around…

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll have to watch it again soon!
Ah, Billy Gilbert - he of the famous sneezes!

posted Hide Post
The attached photo is of Billy Gilbert in “The Music Box” as Prof. Von Schwarzenhoffen.

Billy Gilbert was also the teacher on “Andy’s Gang” with Andy Devine and Froggy the Gremlin--“Twang your magic twanger , Froggy”--and nothing to sneeze at.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

ImageMusicBoxProfessorVrouw.jpeg (32 Kb, 8 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Oh, dear, is Froggy the Gremlin in this now?

Visit this link http://www.angelfire.com/ny/nyuk/rempel.html for a page about Froggy and my contribution to it. (For those who don't know, "dandelion" is Cornelia Shields.)

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froggy marches on!

Loved that link.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Next time I am in Los Angeles, I will go over to those steps that Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy made popular by the film of their famous piano scene, and have a Wendy's right there on the bottom stair. Now, if I can find a local Albertson with those frozen packages of White Castle hamburgers that I heard they sell, and throw a couple in some convenient microwave oven, I'll eat several of those on that stair as well. I'll not forget to take a photo as well.

Dream BIG!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
embroiderer,

I wish you well.

posted Hide Post
Embroiderer will need well wishes! When I was in California four years ago, I tried to visit those steps. A guy I knew through fandom knew just where they were, but said he wouldn't take people there anymore as it was too dangerous. Last time he took someone there, somebody had been shot there just ten minutes earlier.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Next time I am in Los Angeles, I will go over to those steps that Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy made popular by the film of their famous piano scene, and have a Wendy's right there on the bottom stair. Now, if I can find a local Albertson with those frozen packages of White Castle hamburgers that I heard they sell, and throw a couple in some convenient microwave oven, I'll eat several of those on that stair as well.

I heard they're closing Wendy's. Might have to settle for White Castle!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post