Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Theme of Third Expedition (aka Mars is Heaven)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theme of Third Expedition (aka Mars is Heaven)
 Login/Join

posted
Would somebody please tell me the theme of the Third Expedition in the Martian Chronicles? In other words, what is Mr. Bradbury trying to say about life in general?
So far I like the facts that the people were in hopelessness but blinded by their perception.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the captain's speech. Basically, things are often not what they appear. It's a great commentary on the human nature of people seeing what they want to see unless they've lived long enough to be cautious and suspicious.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Heller's CATCH 22, this story also ponders the nature of sanity/insanity, and how the determination of a person's 'sanity' can be purely a matter of perspective. Note the Martian psychologist's seriously flawed logic!

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apologies! My previous post refers to 'The Earth Men', not 'The Third Expedition'.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post