Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Can't find the name of this short story
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't find the name of this short story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Good old cigarettes. I'm sure this is no secret, but Rod Serling enjoyed five packs of non-filter Camels a day!

I can't even imagine someone needing that much smoke in their lungs over a one day period.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
http://amsaw.org/pic1204-serling003A.jpg

That's it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the PBS American Masters episode on Rod Serling said he died in part "thanks to a million cigarettes." I posted on the Twilight Zone forum asking if this were possibly literal. Someone actually bothered to do the math. Must have been on an earlier incarnation of the forum, as I can't find it now, but I think we came up with an actual total of around 750,000 cigarettes--more than half a million, but well under a million.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So unless my arithmetic is off (a very good possibility), he smoked a cigarette thirty-five miles long!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Did you include filter tips in your calculation?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Go back and check Doug's posting where he mentions non-filtered Camels! Straight, pure, repulsive tobacco smoke direct to the lungs.

It's sort of ironic, when you think of the bit of controversy Rod and Ray had, Ray's still alive and doing well and Rod's dead, for how many years? I don't think Ray ever smoked a day in his life.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
It's sort of ironic, when you think of the bit of controversy Rod and Ray had, Ray's still alive and doing well and Rod's dead, for how many years?

Thirty-three. Just.

He was fifty. What a loss to the literary world.

Well, now that we've compleatly re-directed the original subject of this thread, what other pandemonium can we cause?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Try doing the math of how much secondhand smoke Ray inhaled. Take the number of years he and Maggie were married and divide by how much time he spent with her in enclosed spaces and how much she smoked around him as opposed to anywhere else.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post