Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    dandelion wine. wuts up?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dandelion wine. wuts up?
 Login/Join

posted
i am a student. i am doing a topic about how dandelion wine is an autobiography on ray bradbury's own childhood. anybody got any ideas that could help me???

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What grade level is this for? What research have you done so far? Has your teacher/instructor/professor offered any beginning direction?

In his introduction to the recent hardcover printing of Dandelion Wine, Bradbury talks clearly about how this book came to be and that it is a reflection of memories of his own life. The introduction is called, "Just This Side of Byzantium: An Introduction".

"Dandelion Wine". Ray Bradbury. William Morrow, NY. 2001.

This essay/editorial is repeated in Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing". Joshua Odell Editions, Santa Barbara. 1996.

This should help you get started.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
much appreciated. I am in a grade 10 english challenge class. I have to do approximately a 15 minute presentation of how it is an autobiography of his own life. so far I have found that douglas spalding's name comes from ray's middle name (douglas) and his father's middle name (spalding). I also know that bradbury grew up in Wikanawa or something like that. I also know that he was heavily influenced by the carnivals and his imagination was affected with a lot of "magical" stuff. So far that's what I have. Some other stuff as well. I'm not sure what I can talk about for 15 minutes though. thanks for your help.

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you, or does your school library, have access to:

Bradbury, An Illustrated Life: A Journey to Far Metaphor. by Jerry Weist.William Morrow, NY. 2002

This may be helpful.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check, thanks for your help. I should be able to make a better presentation now.

posted Hide Post
i looked up the book in my library but i do not have it. thanks anyways.