Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    C O N T E S T
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C O N T E S T
 Login/Join

posted
Keep your fingers at the ready. Over the weekend, I am going to post a series of questions about Fahrenheit 451, the book. The first person to post all of the correct answers will win a poster from Fahrenheit 451, the play, signed by Ray Bradbury.

Doug Spaulding has kindly compiled the questions and he will be the judge. Once a winner has been proclaimed I will ask for their mailing information, privately, and the poster will be on the way.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Doug Spaulding has kindly compiled the questions and he will be the judge.

Judge not, lest ye...as the scriptures say.

Actually, I fear the questions may be too easy, but I was in a hurry.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

Judge not, lest ye...

Doug, wouldn't that mean you would both win?

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On your mark. Get set. Go.

1. According to mythology, what is the salamander's relation to fire?

2. How many times can the phoenix be reborn from its ashes?

3. Which of Clarisse's relatives influenced her the most?

4. What was the occupation of Granger's grandfather?

5. Which woman cries when Montag reads poetry?

6. How does Mildred claim Clarisse is killed?

7. Which drug does the Hound inject into Montag?

8. Which poem does Montag read to Mildred and her friends?

9. What colors are the firemen’s' uniforms?

10. What kind of liquor does Faber give Montag before he flees to the country?

11. How long a time-period does the novel cover?

12. What does Granger's group do before heading for the city after the bombing?

13. What does Montag follow to reach the Book People in the country?

14. In what basement library was Fahrenheit 451 written?

15. In what city did Montag and Mildred first meet?

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. The salamander lives in fire.
2. Infinitely many times.
3. An uncle of hers?
4. Sculptor.
5. Mrs. Phelps.
6. She says she was hit by a car.
7. Procaine.
8. "Dover Beach" by Matthew Arnold.
9. Orange and black.
10. Whisky.
11. A few weeks.
12. They eat.
13. The river and the railroad.
14. UCLA--Lawrence Clark Powell Library.
15. Chicago.

Posts: 13 | Location: West Lafayette, IN | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Unable to be consumed by fire.

3. Cousin

These are the only answers I would change. Otherwise, looks like there is already a winner.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, shoot. I could have sworn it was her uncle. I thought he was the one she keeps talking about when she tells Montag of the "old days".

Posts: 13 | Location: West Lafayette, IN | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few minor adjustments:

1. Actually the salamander in mythology was able to survive in fire, I am not sure that it "lives in it!"

2. The Phoenix, after being burnt completely, is reborn from wormlike creature once every 500 yrs.

3. She lives with her mother, father and Uncle, who seems to have the most overt influence on her is.
(Cousins or "family" were on tv.)

7. Both, Morphine and procaine from the mechanical hound.

12. OK, cooked bacon, but then they discussed "the phoenix and the importance of remembering" and no one person was important. After this, they departed with Montag reluctantly leading the way.

Agreed, others seem accurate.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
Doug, wouldn't that mean you would both win?

We already have. I got my poster Saturday night fresh from Ray's sharpie.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me? I gotta be the judge?

I think jkt should be the judge since he (slightly) altered my questions.

By that I mean that I wrote them as multiple choice, which would have made it easier to grade. When you get into semantics...

I'll be the judge if you want me to.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Albeit I wasn't on the board over the weekend to be aware of the contest, but I wish to provide some information in reference to the salamanders.

The myth is that they lived in the fire, but in reality salamnders live in hollows in wood. When wood was gathered for making a fire, salamanders would still be in their hiding places and as the wood began to burn and the salamnders sensed the heat, they fled their homes and thus it appeared as salamnders leaping from the fire.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Biplane!
Hey, Doug, what prompted the change of your signature? This contest? Just curious...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did take out the multiple choices because it would have been too easy. I'm sticking to sticking Doug with the swinging of the gavel.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Well, then, there is also the problem of the "kerosene" a salamander will release. Very noxious! May feel like the poor victim is on fire!

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sticking to sticking Doug with the swinging of the gavel.

Swing the gavel, aye!

ofthedarkcarnival answered every question correctly. Mr Tarpinian, please coordinate with the winner to post the prize.

Thanks for playing. Perhaps we'll do this again for the next play.

"Live Forever!"