Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Could Someone Please Point Me In The Right Direction?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could Someone Please Point Me In The Right Direction?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey, GirlMontag, we have not heard back from you! Have you tried to send a picture of your tattoo to Ray yet? Am I in big trouble for mentioning this to Ray before you got a chance to tell him?

I have been in big trouble for such incidents before, particularly with my dad and one of my sisters, for repeating a story they were "going to tell better." Now, my dad was more likely to just talk over me until I got the idea of where he was going with it and shut up, but my sister has REALLY yelled at me about this.

The ways it generally happens is: either someone asks me "What do you know?" and I happen to know this little anecdote which would be of interest to them, and repeat it. Trouble is, they're the same people my dad and sister were going to tell in some big, dramatic way building up to a punchline. Or, my dad or my sister are already telling the story and I add some little fact or detail I think will supplement it, but it "wasn't the way they were going to tell it" and I "wrecked their story."

I IN NO WAY EVER DELIBERATELY DID THIS TO TICK ANYONE OFF! (People get mad at me all the time, generally when I have no idea it's coming or why, so why would I do it deliberately?) I just say what comes to mind to a person to whom I feel it might be of interest (which, believe me, beats repeating a whole lot of things others DON'T find of interest--thank God for the internet as an outlet for that!) Once in awhile, it may unintentionally upset another person.

I did not in any way give Ray details about your or your circumstances, just that there was such a person who did such a thing, also about the young man who had the "Long After Midnight" cover art permanently etched on his back: https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791...091041011#7091041011 I am sure Ray would be fascinated with any means which either of you would choose to present this to him personally.

Whether you choose to scan a picture of your tattoo and send it by email, or photograph it and send it by snail mail, contact me and I'll instruct you as to how to get it to Ray by the most direct means. I'm sorry, I'm more of a "fact and detail" person than a "dramatic" person. Perhaps a better historian than storyteller/dramatist, sad, SAD! to say, but in certain areas I DO get the job done!

Apologies if I offended anyone!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I hope these work...These aren't the greatest pictures that I've ever taken, but I hope everyone enjoys them anyway! I'm so sorry that it has taken me so long to post these, but my second semester of college has been quite strange so far. Thanks, everyone, for your opinions and help!

Montag Lives

Posts: 23 | Location: Nashville, IL | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done. Ray Bradbury WILL live forever.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as long as Girl Montag is alive, anyway. Just kidding, Ray will live forever.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine the future head of the American Library Association.

“Let the women MAN the wheel.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accepted into the Bradbury family no doubt. One of Mr. Bradbury's daughters has a tatoo(s) as well!

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Let the women MAN the wheel.”
A synecdoche!
Great word, that...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II: Uh, since you seem to want to say something to us, I take it you wish us to lend you an ear...!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great to finally see these and thanks so much for posting them!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I've been an artist all my life and in even the best things I've done I see mistakes, or at least things I would change, or that may reflect philosophies I no longer embrace. To have "artwork" on my body and have to see it every day...
We're now seeing men and women who are in their 60s sporting tattoos on their once-firm bodies...
Many psychologists cosider the current trend of tattooing and piercing a manifestation of self-hatred or at least a plea for attention...
BUT, to each his (or her) own, I suppose...

Dear Braling, I have been painting portraiture, landscapes and still lifes for many years (albeit as an ameteur). My personal opinion is that the true art is that which God or nature creates. The human body in its many forms is not a canvas but rather the beauty that artists throughout history have attempted to glorify. I akin, the art of tatooing to graffiti which by definition means: "markings, as initials, slogans, or drawings, written, spray-painted, or sketched on a sidewalk, wall of a building or public restroom, or the like: These graffiti are evidence of the neighborhood's decline." (dictionary.com) My personal opinion is if you wish to honor Ray Bradbury honor his visions by creating your own visions. Dream and believe in that future that is quickly bypassing us second by second...
It is a personal decision. It is your body. I just hope that we are reflecting deeply on this decision to have what in most cases is a poor artist imprinting or drawing his rendition of art on what is already a masterpiece...Next time you get a tatoo ask yourself if this art were placed over the painting of the Mona Lisa or Michaelangelo's painting in the Sistine chapel or any other major work...would it be justified? Even the works of Rembrandt, Sisley, Manet, etc. do not do justice to that moment or person captured by human eyes. We are the Art.

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post