Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Writing Style

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writing Style
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone out there. Im doing a project for English class at my school in Manchester and I really need to know Bradbury's writing style. I've read almost all of his books but I just can't seem to figure it out. Sorry if this seems a little too selfish but I honestly tried my best

Thanks
- Brian Jones

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian, and welcome.

See if you can get hold of a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Brad...eenberg+ray+bradbury

(Amazon US offers a hardcover copy for $0.01. Can't get cheaper than that...)

It's a collection of essays/articles about Bradbury's fiction, all of them quite easily readable. You will find at least one them directly addresses the question of style.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian P. Jones:
I really need to know Bradbury's writing style.

Bradbury tells you here: "When I got to know Aldous Huxley, back when I was 30 years old, I had tea with him one afternoon, and he leaned forward, and he said, 'Do you know what you are?' And I said 'No, Mr Huxley, what am I?' He said, `You are a poet. You are a poet.'

And you need only read The Martian Chronicles to know that. Or Something Wicked This Way Comes. Pure poetry.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil and Doug for helping me I will try to get hold of the book and I'll reread The Martian Chronicles

Thanks
-Brian

PS I'm also open to other information resources about this topic.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at Ray Bradbury's forwards and afterwards. He frequently talks about his writing style and methods. In addition to those, check out his book, "Zen in the Art of Writing". Ray Bradbury. Joshua Odell Editions, Santa Barbara, 1996. If you can get a copy of that, it will prove to be the Holy Grail in understanding Ray's views on writing and on the issue of style. Also, if you discuss Ray's writing, without discussing his use of metaphor, you are on the wrong track.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post