Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Leave Taking...
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 109

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Leave Taking...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Oh No! Vern Langdon passed away!! One of m favorute peopl, so talented, he was even a pro wrestler for a while, composer, musician ...Frowner

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Erwin

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the passing of Bill Erwin, and as someone who loves the film made of Richard Matheson's SOMEWHERE IN TIME, I am moved to say:

"See you 'round, Arthur."

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jerry Weist

http://sfscope.com/2011/01/com...erry-weist-dies.html

I was lucky enough to have known Jerry, even riding down to ComicCon with him and Ray a couple of years ago.

Jerry was the author of the "big green book" Bradbury: An Illustrated Life.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met him once at a Bradbury play. He signed AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE for me, and was a very kind man.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had the privledge to have met him, but he responded to an email I sent him one time about Bradbury-An Illustrated Life:

"It is the favorite book of my entire life to have written and designed. Ray calls it his "drowning book, I open it up and I drown in my own life as it flashes before me!" "

Warmest regards to his family and friends.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so sad, he wrote a wonderful book filled with such feeling.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How sad... a young man still.
Mr. Weist produced a beautiful collection, unparalleled, in my view, on the life and works of America's Zen Writer.
Peace!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never met Jerry Weist, but his book ILLUSTRATED LIFE played a great part in my personal rediscovery of Ray Bradbury's work. I still turn to the book about once a week.

Thankyou, Jerry. RIP.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of which we speak...a Work of Art!

(For those who may not have a copy):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com...062_af159099d1_o.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please keep in prayer the victims of the massacre in the shooting directed at Congresswoman Gabriella Giffords in Ray's former home state of Arizona. She is currently in critical condition.

One of these victims was a nine-year-old girl--a perfect little angel who just got elected to student government and her family was taking her to see a real legislator!

If the Congresswoman dies, she will be only the second member of Congress killed in the line of duty, EVER, IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES. The first was Leo Ryan in Guyana in 1978.

posted Hide Post
I visited with Jerry on the telephone and he was kind enough to sign my copy of The Illustrated Life when I sent him my copy. Too early and too sad.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I am surprised that you have to be reminded that Ray's HOME state is Ilinois. True, he lived there in Arizona for a while, but it certainly is not his home state.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But she surely meant "home" in the context that his home was there for awhile.

"Live Forever!"