Ray Bradbury Hompage    raybradburyboard.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray's Moby

Moderators: philnic, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's Moby
 Login/Join

posted
At the end of September 1953 Ray, with Marguerite and their first two daughters, passed close to my now home in South Wales towards the end of their tortuous journey to Dublin to embark on Ray's ordeal with the monster - and I don't mean the whale!
Some digging has turned up the surprising fact, just a mention, that when filming finally started it was in Wales. Does anyone know which scenes, or type of scenes were filmed here, or whereabouts?

We have a local fish & chip shop called Moby Dick's and if I can produce a decently presented link between the film and the area for customers to read while awaiting the preparation of their lethal dishes it should be worth a few free meals! Wink

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may know these already but if not, hope they'll be a start for your search. On Imbd, 6 of the 27 locations listed for the filming of Moby Dick, in 1956, mention Wales:

Ceibwr Bay, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK

Coast, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK

Coast, Wales, UK

Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK

Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK

Wales, UK

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049513/locations

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 18 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Moby Dick, I have a hunch Ray would have enjoyed today's LIO comic strip. Take a look:

http://www.gocomics.com/lio/2017/03/08

Posts: 940 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone checked out the new Blu-Ray of Huston/Ray's Moby Dick, from Twilight Time? I've got it and it really is something. It is the first and only home video release that restores the color palette of the original film. Apparently, Huston wanted to mimic the style of 19th century whaling prints.

Sadly, I snagged my copy right before it sold out (it's a very limited edition, due to rights, I assume). However, think you can still track down copies relatively inexpensively on ebay and Amazon, from second-hand vendors.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

Posts: 36 | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I was totally just talkin' about that flick.

Posts: 7068 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
davidafshar, I've just realized that this is you!

https://www.amazon.com/Years-B...cience/dp/1481482688

Nice to see you here.

Posts: 630 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
douglasSP, you've uncovered my secret identity! Smiler

Posts: 36 | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as you don't use your powers for evil, David, your secret is safe with me!

Posts: 630 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post