Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "No Particular Night or Morning" - need help

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"No Particular Night or Morning" - need help
 Login/Join

posted
hey, I've read this story, but I don't quite understand the real meaning behind it. Can someone help me? I woul appreciate it.

Posts: 31 | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't have any real meaning. Never did have. Nothing ever had meaning. Never was any.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,

What do you mean?

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, perhaps everything has meaning . . .

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the story and you'll see the significance.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read the story, I have an idea of what it is about, but I am looking for deeper things, what is bradbury talking about behind the estory? the theme?

posted Hide Post
hey, elron,

how can you translate the w.page you posted, I cannot read it, I only see question marks (??)

posted Hide Post
never mind, I found a way to read it.
so.. any more comments?? I have to write a response to this story

posted Hide Post
Vansama,

Here's how it works: you tell us what you think and then we'll respond. Defending your view will help sharpen your argument. Otherwise, without disclosing where you stand, you're pretty much asking us to do your work for you, aren't you?

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't recall the story, or what anthology it appears in. Could someone help ME?

Posts: 34 | Location: houston | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll find it here:
The Illustrated Man
The Stories of Ray Bradbury

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Dandelion! Nada y nada y Nada! "No Particular Night or Morning" Are these thoughts -or no thoughts- we all have from time to time?

The conclusion of Hemingway's "A Clean, Well-lighted Place" (from Snows of Kilimanjaro) is in a way the same message of nothing. Never was! I have often wondered who influenced whom in exploring and expounding this lost dark theme!?

A check of the copyrights of these stories should uncover something.
-----------------
Ok, Back again: EH's story, 1926. RB's, 1951. However, this most likely proves nothing............

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 11-03-2004).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was a great story. I reread it because of this post.

Or, did I not ever really reread it because I only have the memory of the thing and not the thing itself? Is my recollection of reading the story only a fabrication in my mind? Why can't we have physical proof of its reality? Wouldn't it be better, though, if we could have "mental proof" that we could carry with us? Do things that don't have immediate physical impact on us have any reality? Or do they have reality but we can't verify it without the physical proof? IF this is possible, is it the case that a dependence on physical evidence in the moment a guarantee that we can never know anything with any sense of continueation or permanance?

Is it possible that there really is nothing outside the self? That everything is a fabrication, unreal, self-generated as idea only? Do these kinds of questions lead, necessarily, to solipsism?

Does the void of space cause us, necessarily, to become philosophically introspective to the point that we will go insane if we continue to ask these kinds of questions? Do these kinds of questions have any validity? Is there any merit to philosophical speculation? Can these kinds of questions be answered, and if so, how would we know they were answered?

If we "know" something at one point in time, can we not-know it at another? Was it really true then, or is only the immediate moment true/real?

I find the story fascinating as it poses all these questions within the context of a man's struggle to find meaning and validity in the void of space. He is directly drawn to space because of that very void that plagues him.

In the immersion/bradbury cited above by elron, the author says the story's theme is about the nature of reality. I think there is some element of that, but my own view is that it is about the nature of knowledge. Metaphysics is the philosophical study of the nature of reality, while Epistemology is the study of the nature of knowledge, knowledge claims and verifiability. My own reading of the story makes it much more focused on epistemological issues than metaphysical issues.

The tie to Hemingway is clear. The passage where every feeling, touch, smell, taste, is recorded is pure Hemingway. Which came first? Bradbury is clear and constistent in citing Hemingway as one of his favorite authors.

Great story!!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 11-07-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post