Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    ROBERT BLOCH: THE MAN WHO COLLECTED PSYCHOS

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ROBERT BLOCH: THE MAN WHO COLLECTED PSYCHOS
 Login/Join

posted
"Robert Bloch...The Man Who Collected Psychos: Critical Essays On Robert Bloch" has just been published by McFarland Books in paperback at a cost of $35.00 and can either be ordered through Amazon.Com or directly from the publisher. Compiled by Australian editor and critic Benjamin Szumskyj, the new volume features my own essay on the films and short stories of Robert Bloch.

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/bo...id=978-0-7864-4208-9

Best Wishes,

Steve Vertlieb

Posts: 47 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve, many thanks for alerting us to this book. Bloch deserves more serious study than he has received in the past, and I very much look forward to seeing this book, and especially your essay on his films and short stories.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that new book of critical essays on the life and work of Robert Bloch has now been published officially, and is available for purchase either directly from McFarland Publishers or through Amazon.Com with no tax or shipping charges attached. I just received a complimentary copy of the new volume from its editor in Australia, and I'm happy to report that it is a striking edition, indeed. I hope that fans and admirers of this wonderful writer will find value in our efforts and tributes to Bob.

http://www.Mcfarlandpub.com/bo...id=978-0-7864-4208-9

Best Always,

Steve Vertlieb

Posts: 47 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With thanks to James Van Hise, who just published this link on another message board, here is a set of photos of Robert Bloch in the collection of the Wisconsin Historical Society - most of them humorous poses of various kinds.

Bloch and Bradbury's friend Henry Kuttner is also featured in some shots.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.or...e=basic&sort_by=date

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fine writer, Robert Bloch, was a very good friend of Ray Bradbury. In searching the internet, I came across the following from a letter Bloch wrote to Ray in 1947, encouraging him in his writing. Bloch's advice was the same that Ray also would later give to young, aspiring writers:

“I urge you with all sincerity to get to work, write a book, write two—three—four books, just as a matter of course. Don’t worry about ‘wasting’ an idea or ‘spoiling’ a plot by going too fast. If you are capable of turning out a masterpiece, you’ll get other and even better ideas in the future. Right now your job is to write, and to write books so that by so doing you’ll gain the experience to write still better books later on. . . ."

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post