Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' - probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on."

- Woody Allen

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

- Albert Einstein

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"The point of quotations is that one can use another's words to be insulting."

- Amanda Cross

Which reminds me...I'll be right back.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Mr. Prime Minister, thank you for your introduction. Thank you for being such a fine host for the OPEC summit."

-George W. Bush, addressing Australian Prime Minister John Howard at the APEC Summit, September 7, 2007

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now...you tell me what you know!

Groucho Marx

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
..........We don't see things as they are,
..........we see them as we are.
.............. Anais Nin

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...For they eat the bread of wickedness,
And drink the wine of violence.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark Twain, visiting Europe in the eighteen-seventies, reported that during a pistol duel each man’s gallery, for its own safety, was positioned directly behind the duellist.

from "En Garde!" by Arthur Krystal

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"What is love of one's country; is it hate of one's uncountry? Then it's not a good thing.

.... I love the hills of the Domain of Estre, but that sort of love does not have a boundary-line of hate. And beyond that, I am ignorant, I hope."

"The Left Hand of Darkness"
Ursula K. LeGuin

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“I am seduced by fancy packaging as much as the next person,” Dr. Brademas said. “But I have a theory that all these skin-care things come out of the same vat in New Jersey.”

- Natasha Singer, "The Cosmetics Restriction Diet"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"What beck'ning ghost, along the moon-light shade invites my steps, and points to yonder glade?"

- Alexander Pope

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Time is very precious. You're wasting it right now."

- Harold Eugene "Doc" Edgerton
"NOVA" 1984

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You were right, old hoss; you were right!"

(The ONLY words spoken - and these in admitting too late his tragic error - by the young man, "a new-comer in the land, a chechaquo", as he traversed the frozen trail in the backwoods of the Yukon, in Jack London's "To Build A Fire.")

BTW, the classic ending:
"Later, the dog whined loudly. And still later it crept close to the man and caught the scent of death. This made the animal bristle and back away. A little longer it delayed, howling under the stars that leaped and danced and shone brightly in the cold sky. Then it turned and trotted up the trail in the direction of the camp it knew, where were the other food-providers and fire-providers."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless.
Bertrand Russell, atheist

God doesn't play dice.
Albert Einstein

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post