Ray Bradbury Hompage    raybradburyboard.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "A Sound of Thunder" opening theaters number + some question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
"A Sound of Thunder" opening theaters number + some question
 Login/Join
 
posted
"A Sound of Thunder" will only opens on 800 theaters.... too few for a mainstream Sct-fi movie. It mean that some people will have hard time to find a theater.

http://boxofficemojo.com/schedule/

BTW, will this movie have a Premiere? (If the answer is yes, where it will be?)

Again.... Who has seen the TV commercial of this movie? Which channel show it? (It is very difficult to find who has actually seen the commercial ....)

Thank you~~~~ Smiler
 
Posts: 34 | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it on UPN during WWE Smackdown. They played it a couple of times.
 
Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
I saw it on UPN during WWE Smackdown. They played it a couple of times.


Thank you, fanboy.

Does the tv spots use "Ray Bradbury" name as a selling point?
 
Posts: 34 | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's look at the facts as presented:

'A Sound of Thunder'
...is listed as costing a boggling $80-100 million dollars. And opening on a mere 800 screens.

A movie like 'Brother's Grimm'
... is said to also cost in the same range of $80 plus million, and opening on "3000" screens!!! (...and looks a lot better in the trailers...)

A movie like 'Transporter2'
...which will probably clean-up this weekend in the box office along with 'Brothers Grimm', is said to cost only $32 million. Hmm!?

'Serenity'
...a science-fiction movie opening in a few weeks, is said to cost around $40 million and opening on an undisclosed but 'wide' number of screens (whatever that means).

Then you have a movie coming out soon titled,
'Undiscovered'
... opening on over 1,300 screens and costing less than $10 million!!

_

Maybe 'A Sound of Thunder' is a fun dinosaur movie, but it will never have the charisma and character, the sense of real wonder portrayed in Ray's stories. Of course, of course that is always the main complaint in movie making when you compare it to the original book. But in Ray's case it is a Mona Lisa painting being repainted by a chimpanzee. Clever chimpanzee but I'll take the original.

Okay, with all my bias, I will go into the theater with a clean mental slate. If I don't like it in the first five minutes, I will not do what I usually do...'walk out!' No, I'll actually try to sit thru it all...and perhaps...will find some redeeming factors. With this terrible mind set to be set aside by next week, I await that opening on Sept. 2nd...
 
Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
----Ditto!----
 
Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Let's look at the facts as presented:

'A Sound of Thunder'
...is listed as costing a boggling $80-100 million dollars. And opening on a mere 800 screens.

A movie like 'Brother's Grimm'
... is said to also cost in the same range of $80 plus million, and opening on "3000" screens!!! (...and looks a lot better in the trailers...)

A movie like 'Transporter2'
...which will probably clean-up this weekend in the box office along with 'Brothers Grimm', is said to cost only $32 million. Hmm!?

'Serenity'
...a science-fiction movie opening in a few weeks, is said to cost around $40 million and opening on an undisclosed but 'wide' number of screens (whatever that means).

Then you have a movie coming out soon titled,
'Undiscovered'
... opening on over 1,300 screens and costing less than $10 million!!

_

Maybe 'A Sound of Thunder' is a fun dinosaur movie, but it will never have the charisma and character, the sense of real wonder portrayed in Ray's stories. Of course, of course that is always the main complaint in movie making when you compare it to the original book. But in Ray's case it is a Mona Lisa painting being repainted by a chimpanzee. Clever chimpanzee but I'll take the original.

Okay, with all my bias, I will go into the theater with a clean mental slate. If I don't like it in the first five minutes, I will not do what I usually do...'walk out!' No, I'll actually try to sit thru it all...and perhaps...will find some redeeming factors. With this terrible mind set to be set aside by next week, I await that opening on Sept. 2nd...


On the other hand, "A Sound of Thunder" is financed by Franchise Pictures, which went bankrupt during the post-production of this movie. Warner Bros put up 0% of the budget. Warner release it just want to fullfill their contractual obligation; based on the Warner Bros's deal with Franchise Pictures, Warner Bros is obligated to release Franchise's movies in U.S. theaters as long as they have production budgets higher than $20 million and carry an R rating or less. Warner advances the cost of prints and advertising but recoups that immediately from its first box-office receipts, then Franchise would pays Warner a 15% distribution fee.

Since Franchise Pictures went bankrupt, it isn't likely that Warner Bros would get their money(cost of prints and advertising) back.

Therefore, Warner Bros has no reason to give it the good advertising; they have to cut their loss.

BTW, Ray Bradbury loves this movie, so I think that this movie wouldn't be terrible bad. (It may not be very good, though.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marychan41,
 
Posts: 34 | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll definitely see it, cause I love sci fi-fantasy movies, and Bradbury stories. I rarely see a movie from one of these genres that I don't find something to like. Besides, I wanna support one of my all time favorite writers.

I guess Ray has seen it, then, and likes it?
 
Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:


I guess Ray has seen it, then, and likes it?


Yes

http://www.bradburychronicles.com/news.htm
quote:
Ray Bradbury reports that an early screening of the Peter Hyams adaptation of A Sound of Thunder was spectacular. "They added things to my story that made it even better." A rare and unusual admission by an author to say the least!
 
Posts: 34 | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Ray Bradbury Hompage    raybradburyboard.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "A Sound of Thunder" opening theaters number + some question