Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Sound of Thunder deeper analysis?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sound of Thunder deeper analysis?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi! I'm a college student and I'm doing a long essay on Sound of Thunder. The question given was "Are modern innovations beneficial to the environment?". Of course, I have to gear it to the short story written by Ray Bradbury.
What are the modern innovations in A Sound of Thunder and are there beneficial to the environment?
I've recognized a few like the oxygen mask, Time Machine and the anti-gravity path. What effects do these have on the environment?

Would really appreciate your replies. Smiler

Posts: 1 | Registered: 15 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nutgurl:
Hi! I'm a college student and I'm doing a long essay on Sound of Thunder. The question given was "Are modern innovations beneficial to the environment?". Of course, I have to gear it to the short story written by Ray Bradbury.
What are the modern innovations in A Sound of Thunder and are there beneficial to the environment?
I've recognized a few like the oxygen mask, Time Machine and the anti-gravity path. What effects do these have on the environment?

Would really appreciate your replies. Smiler

The book was so powerful that a branch of physics’ string theory was named in honor of the book, The Butterfly Effect.

Don’t forget about the bullets.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edward Norton Lorenz, the great meteorologist, who died just last year, is the one credited for coining the term The Butterfly Effect. He actually got the idea from Jacques Hadamard's number theory (in the late 1800's.)

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
Edward Norton Lorenz, the great meteorologist, who died just last year, is the one credited for coining the term The Butterfly Effect. He actually got the idea from Jacques Hadamard's number theory (in the late 1800's.)

True he coined the phrase but it was the book that string theory used for the inspiration.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Book? A Sound of Thunder is a short story.

String theory? I thought it was Choas theory.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Book? A Sound of Thunder is a short story.

String theory? I thought it was Choas theory.

I cannot be this wrong...or can I? String theory's postulate on time travel was given the moniker The Butterfly Effect based on the short story, A Sound of Thunder. (Butterly. Boot. History change.)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by philnic:
...(Butterly. Boot. History change.)

Butterly, you say? Utterly Butterly perhaps?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a bit of Googling, and the only linkages I can find between "butterfly effect" and "string theory" are on websites that don't understand one or other concept.

Search on butterfly effect and CHAOS theory, however, and billions of hits come up.

Conclusion: the butterfly effect is associated with chaos theory, not string theory.

Details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Utterly Butterly

Udderly, surely!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Search on butterfly effect and CHAOS theory, however, and billions of hits come up.

Conclusion: the butterfly effect is associated with chaos theory, not string theory.

I stand corrected.

John King Tarpinian