Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New stuff

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New stuff
 Login/Join

posted
A couple of bits added to my website: notes on a paper I just presented on Bradbury's short stories; a Planetary Society radio feature on Mr B; Mr B and Ray Harryhausen. And last week I put up some info about Bradbury and Hitchcock. Come on over, I'd love to see you there!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, you are the master of details. So, when are "You" going to publish an RB book with a different twist?

Always enjoy visiting and accessing info from your great site for classes!
Thanks! f

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, ...and then, this is curious:
http://www.noosfere.com/showcase/IMAGES/fsf_6305.jpg
vs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0060011823/ref=sib_dp_p...-5773668#reader-link

I would love to see the earliest RB's collected and republished "with the original artwork included" as they appeared in the first s.f. mags and then mainstream copies. (As can be reviewed in Jerry Weist's Illustrated Life: Ie, Weird Tales, Thrilling Wonderful Tales, Planet Stories, Super Science Stories, New Detective Magazine, Fantastic Mysteries, McLean's, Esquire, Saturday Evening Post, Playboy, Colliers...more.) Timeless really!

Titles such as Rocket Man, Sound of Thunder, Fog Horn, Ill. Man, Dwarf, Homecoming, Kaleidoscope, F451, Happiness Machine, Mars is Heaven, Golden Apples, so many more.

If you have Mr. Weist's book on RB, revisist the first few chapters and see what a treasure of images waits to be gathered, if only copyrights and red tape could be determined.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, I am toying with some book ideas, and I have a potential collaborator for an academic book on Mr B.

That F&SF cover is from a special Bradbury tribute issue of the magazine. The intriguing bit is that the image has been flopped. I presume this is because of the differing requirements of a magazine cover and a book cover.

I agree about those old pulp (and slick) illustrations. Some of them are quite iconic. Of course, quite often the Bradbury stories appeared under different titles in the magazines, often chosen by the editor. "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl" was first published as "Touch and Go" (which is a very clever title in its own right); "The Veldt" was "The World the Children Made".

When I presented a paper on Bradbury at a conference the other day, I used a Powerpoint slide show as a backdrop, and included some images from Weist's book. I think the audience found it much easier to get an instant impression of what the stories were about. There is also a curious nostalgia value in them - but nostalgia for a time that many of us didn't even live through (being too young). How does that work?!

Speaking of nostalgia, I just posted a Bradbury-Freberg prune commercial on my blog!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Freberg! It's he doing the narration there, by the way...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that I have mentioned this before and please excuse me for repeating the anecdote, but when my family and I stopped by to visit Ray in the summer of 1996 we were visiting in his formal living room when the phone rang in another room.

Marguerite called out to Ray "that Stan Freberg was on the phone." Ray excused himself and left to take the call. While he was gone my youngest daughter Emily accidently knocked over a cell from "Fantasia" that was leaning against a love seat. No damage was done but it was neat to see an actual cell, obviously one of the several that Ray was given directly by Walt Disney from his vault.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT STUFF!!!

I watched the Hitchcock episode of "The Jar". Man, what a cast-- Slim Pickens, Mayberry's Goober, Hazzard's Roscoe Pecoe Train, Green Acre's Mr. Haney. Stunning collection of Small Town U.S.A's most memorable characters. All that's missing is Matt Dillon's sidekick from GUNSMOKE.

I recognize the old woman, too. Can't remember from where, but I'm certain she played leading man's Ma. GRAPES OF WRATH? PRIDE OF THE YANKEES? WHITE HEAT? Perhaps one of those.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great, Grassy! Almost makes me want to get cable...
Here's a site that lists the cast, some with little bios:

http://www.tv.com/the-alfred-hitchcock-hour/the-jar/episode/135500/cast.html

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can see it for FREE!!! RIGHT NOW!!! Go to Phil's site, enter, and scroll about halfway down to where it says something about when Ray met Alfred. It's a gas, man. There's also an episode of "The Life And Work Of Juan Diaz" and the aforementioned Freburg prune commercial. I don't know why but all this stuff is instantaneous with no downloading at all. You just click and it plays on your monitor like it was a television set. The future is here, and I like it. Be sure to adjust your volume.

http://www.bradburymedia.co.uk/

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, she played Ma Joad in THE GRAPES OF WRATH.
Thanks, B-II.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
You can see it for FREE!!! RIGHT NOW!!!

Guba's link is no longer working, but you can still see it here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post