Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
It is my understanding that there are places where it rains in July even or you need more than a windbreaker in January to keep warm…

You have a rather clear understanding of the East coast.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and of the UK...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...and of the UK...

No wonder my great great great great great Uncle James Oglethorpe got his commission from Good King George to travel to the new world...and the family kept traveling West until we came to Southern California.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the Oglethorpes were shipped to the colonies for sheep rustling...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I thought the Oglethorpes were shipped to the colonies for sheep rustling...

As long as that was all they were doing with the sheep... Uncle James did clear out the debtor prisons with "volunteers."

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Best Wishes, then, it sounds like a fascinating albeit challenging job.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Falling Upward: I had the honor of attending the premiere on Saturday night... and sitting directly behind Ray himself. It was a fine play and my date and I enjoyed it greatly. I couldn't always understand what they were saying on stage (and I'm an American of Irish extraction), but that's the dues you pay for for attending a play where everyone is speaking in a semi-thick brogue!

Once you accepted that the play had large pieces of exposition (in the form of Pat Harrington's narration) then it was easy to fall into the pace of the play. He was very good in his part, though he needs to watch out for turning his back to the audience and talking to the lads on stage. Couldn't hear him at all.

The vignettes were rememberances of the author's time in Ireland. I could almost see a younger Ray standing unobtrusively in a corner of the bar on stage (or the one in Ireland), soaking up the local flavor. Quite a few laughs were to be had as well as some poignancy at the end. Very nice.

I bought Ray a red wine from the bar... and I hope he at least got a sip of it before JKT took it away from him under false pretenses. Tsk tsk.

I LOVE the El Portal Theater. Only a few miles from Universal Studios, it was well-appointed, cozy, with a welcoming staff.

You would be well served to go see this play!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powervideo:
(snip) and I hope he at least got a sip of it before JKT took it away from him under false pretenses. Tsk tsk.

I was following orders...and yes, he did enjoy a sip.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Who Says Never on a Sunday?

On Sunday March 8th Mr. B will be at the Forrest J Ackerman memorial service at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, CA.

He will be at the 1000 Oaks (in Ventura County) Barnes and Noble on Sunday March 15th at 12 noon.

On Sunday March 22nd in Westwood (near UCLA) at the Mystery bookshop.

On Sunday March 29th he is scheduled to be at the Paperback Show at 1 p.m., in Mission Hills, CA

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
He will be at the 1000 Oaks (in Ventura County) Barnes and Noble on Sunday March 15th at 12 noon.

Blahst! I was just about to post this too!

I was just there yesterday having Susan Bradbury sign a couple books for me. Isn't that a coincidence?

Doesn't this guy ever go to church!? Sorry - I don't want to open a can of you-know-what!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I was just about to post this too!

I look forward to seeing you there. (ducking)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
I look forward to seeing you there.

Well, you can look forward, but you'll also have to look eastward!

OK, I gotta go pack.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug, does this mean that you will not be able to have the close, personal relationship that you have had with Ray over the past several years?

I can see that Ray has a deep affection for you and I am sure that Ray will be saddened with your departure.

Will you, any time soon, be able to enlighten us as to the position you have accepted and the responsibilites therein?

And, may I ask, what is the status of your documentary on Forest J. Ackerman. Thanks in advance for your response.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've brought up several interesting points/questions. I shall try to address them all.

quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Doug, does this mean that you will not be able to have the close, personal relationship that you have had with Ray over the past several years?

I will maintain my relationship as much as distance permits. Ray is great for returning letters (as you know), and taking phone calls. I will attempt to make LA my choice of destination for holidays as much as I can, and perhaps see a play now and again.

quote:
I can see that Ray has a deep affection for you and I am sure that Ray will be saddened with your departure.

Thank you for your kind words. He does seem to like me. I think it's because I retain the same child-like wonder he has in such abundance, and we have many of the same interests. He greets me with a kiss on the cheek or a playful hand to the face. I often tell him things which make him laugh, or weep. Both are good with him - as long as it's emotion or feeling, he loves it. He did express sadness when I told him a couple weeks ago.

quote:
Will you, any time soon, be able to enlighten us as to the position you have accepted and the responsibilities therein?

I'll shed some light right now. I will be doing much the same thing I did when I was active duty military. Unfortunately, much has to do with the logistics of the stupid war. Fortunately, the new administration seems to have not forgotten about the war (like some previous administration which started it), and will begin the process of ending it soonest. I will then move on to more pleasant duties. Therein is a good word.

quote:
And, may I ask, what is the status of your documentary on Forrest J Ackerman. Thanks in advance for your response.

Principle photography is finished. Now we begin the editing. So hopefully something this year!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Who Says Never on a Sunday?

Connie Francis, I believe.

"Live Forever!"