Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
ComicCon 2009: For those of you that are attending this year you will have two RB things to interest you this year. Featured will be the movie Chrysalis AND the F451 graphic novel. More specifics and scheduling should be posted on the ComicCon website in a few weeks.

Will the two Rays (B & H) attend? It's the 40th Anniversary, and Ray and Forry were among the very first guests. I wish I'd gone last year when The Three Musketeers were all together.

Posts: 39 | Location: Big Sur, CA | Registered: 20 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be old news, but ere's a YouTube clip of Ray and Ray at a book-signing in Santa Monica three years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27DymGi3w2E

Posts: 39 | Location: Big Sur, CA | Registered: 20 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groovista:
quote:
ComicCon 2009: For those of you that are attending this year you will have two RB things to interest you this year. Featured will be the movie Chrysalis AND the F451 graphic novel. More specifics and scheduling should be posted on the ComicCon website in a few weeks.

It is my understanding that Ray H. is not attending.

Will the two Rays (B & H) attend? It's the 40th Anniversary, and Ray and Forry were among the very first guests. I wish I'd gone last year when The Three Musketeers were all together.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Reading the NY Times review, I was intrigued by Mr. Bradbury's take on the internet, that it's somewhere there in the air, a sort of invisible nothingness. Yet, it is the way the masses now communicate instantly. Tho Mr. Bradbury's works will be there for generations to come in forms of printed matter, the concept of the internet being some invisible boogey-man is an example of an older generation being overwhelmed by new technology. Maybe someone back there, at the turn of the 19th century, cried out that radio was a tool of the devil's work. How can voices fly miles in the air?

Embroiderer, I share your view that this is largely a generational thing. However, he's right about the lack of permanence on the internet (the word "wispy" came into my mind!), especially when you think of something like Wikipedia where something can be a fact one minute and erased without a trace the next.

But then again...one of the old criticisms of radio and TV was that they were ephemeral. So how come I have loads of old TV shows on my shelves on DVD? What appears ephemeral today doesn't necessarily stay that way.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Ray Bradbury going to be doing any future book signings in the Los Angeles/Orange county areas?

Posts: 27 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scotty:
Is Ray Bradbury going to be doing any future book signings in the Los Angeles/Orange county areas?

Well, there is the birthday party on August 22nd. There is ComicCon on July 25th. Then there is, starting July 11th, his new play where he usually attends every Saturday night, ComiCon weekend is an exception for the theatre.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scotty:

And there is this:
He's having another birthday celebration at the Memorial Branch Library on West Olympic in Los Angeles on Monday, Aug. 31 at 6:30 pm. The event is free, but to support the library, Bradbury's books will be for sale. He'll be happy to sign those that are purchased at the event.

And he's also pitching in to help the Venice Historical Society restore the columns along Windward Avenue. The Ray Bradbury Adopt-a-Colonnade project kicks off July 31 with desserts and Champagne. Tickets are $55 and $45, and the organization is hoping to raise some serious cash: a $2,500 Martian Chronicle sponsor gets a name on a plaque on a restored column; a $250 Farenheit 451 sponsor will see their name on a rock wall; and for less, you can become a Graveyard of Lunatics sponsor (naming convention still to be determined).

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scotty:
...And he's also pitching in to help the Venice Historical Society restore the columns along Windward Avenue...

jkt, would these be they:

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by philnic:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jkt:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scotty:
...And he's also pitching in to help the Venice Historical Society restore the columns along Windward Avenue...

jkt, would these be they:

They were free-standing arches. I'll try to find a photo.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The newest Pandemonium Press:

Pandemonium Press
An Irregular Publication of
RAY BRADBURY’S
PANDEMONIUM THEATRE COMPANY
Celebrating its
46th ANNIVERSARY YEAR!

Issue No. 50 August/September, 2009

THE PLAY’S THE THING

Ray Bradbury’s
The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
Returns by popular demand!!

Five young Latino men from East LA ascribe near-mystical powers to a beautifully-tailored white suit, the luscious color of vanilla ice cream, in the window of Shumway’s Sunshine Suits.

If Martinez had that suit, then Celia, the prettiest girl in the neighborhood, might notice him. If Villanazaul had that suit, then he could impress people as a public speaker. If Gomez or Dominguez had that suit, they’d be hits with the ladies. If Vamenos had that suit, he would cease to be a social pariah and become the life of the party.

The magical power of The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit is to imbue its wearer with confidence.

Produced by Ray Bradbury and RacquelLehrman, Theatre Planners, the cast includes Adrain Elizondo, Joaquin Garay III, Daniel V. Graulau, Joan Jack, Robert Kerr, Joy Nash, Paul Renteria, Eddie Ruiz, Rudy Rodriguez, Andy Sell, and Philip Sokoloff. Direction is by Alan Neal Hubbs, with Lighting Design by Peter Strauss, Sound Design by Robert Arturo Ramirez, Scenic Design by John Edw. Blankenship and Production Stage Management by Elliott Woodruff.

As noted in January, this 1972 play was first produced by the Organic Theatre of Chicago. A musical version was presented by the Pasadena Playhouse in 1989. The new production affords another rare opportunity for local audiences to see the original play.

Fremont Centre Theatre
1000 Fremont Ave. (at El Centro)
South Pasadena, CA 91030
Abundant free parking behind the theatre.
Close to the Mission St. Station of the Metrolink Gold Line.

Preview: Friday, September 25 at 8 pm
Opening Night: Saturday, September 26 at 8 pm
Performances: Friday and Saturday at 8 pm; Sunday at 3 pm
Closing Performance: Saturday, November 14 at 8 pm
Admission: $20 Seniors: $15 Students: $10
Reservations and information: (323) 960-4451
Online ticketing: www.Plays411.com/raybradbury

. . . excerpted from the Press Releases by Philip Sokoloff (showbizphil@sbcglobal.net)

AND DON’T FORGET!

RAY BRADBURY’S YESTERMORROWS
Through September 5

Ray Bradbury’s Yestermorrows is a collection of three favorite Bradbury tales adapted for the
stage.

The Meadow is presented for the first time. The elderly night watch-man at a motion picture studio lot finds himself the protector of the entire world. The old man must summon all his wit and intelligence to dissuade those who would come to destroy it.

Cistern is the story of a young couple in love who are, incidentally, undead and “live” in the cistern that runs underneath their city.

A Device Out of Time is a tale in which youngsters discover the secrets of time travel and, while they still can, visit the sights and sounds of decades past.

The cast of Ray Bradbury’s Yestermorrows includes David Fox-Brenton, Georgean George, Jay Gerber, Robert Kerr, David Mauer, Michael Prichard, Roses Prichard, Andy Sell and Steven Robert Wollenberg. Ray Bradbury and Racquel Lehrman, Theatre Planners, produce, Alan Neal Hubbs directs, lighting design by Peter Strauss and sound design by Robert Arturo Ramirez. Presented by Ray Bradbury’s Pandemonium Theatre Company, this is a guest production at the Fremont Centre Theatre.

. . .Photos Courtesy of Ed Krieger

Fremont Centre Theatre
1000 Fremont Ave. (at El Centro)
South Pasadena, CA 91030
Abundant free parking behind the theatre.
Close to the Mission St. Station of the Metrolink Gold Line.

Opening Night: Saturday, July 11 at 8 pm
Performances: Friday and Saturday at 8 pm; Sunday at 3 pm
Closing Performance: Saturday, September 5 at 8 pm
Admission: $20 Seniors: $15 Students: $10
Reservations and information: (323) 960-4451
Online ticketing: www.Plays411.com/raybradbury

  

RAY AROUND TOWN

Friday, July 31 – 7:00 pm

Ray will join with the Venice Historical Society as they kick off THE RAY BRADBURY ADOPT-A-COLONNADE RESTORATION PROJECT at the Electric Lodge, 14216 Electric Avenue, Venice.

Ray will speak about his amazing career and his time in Venice. Episodes from the Ray Bradbury Theatre, some starring William Shatner and Jeff Goldblum, will be shown. Delightful delicacies and desserts will be served, along with flowing champagne, and a Special Silent Auction will be held.

Reservations are $45 for Members and $55 for non-members. Admission will be higher at the door. There is limited seating and free on-site parking.

Sponsorships include: A Martian Chronicle Sponsor - $2500
A Fahrenheit 451 Sponsor - $250
A Graveyard For Lunatics Sponsor - $$ Your Choice

For additional information, call 310-967-5170 or go to venicehistorical.org for a copy of the reservation form/invitation.

Saturday, August 22 – 1:00 pm

A celebration of Ray Bradbury’s 89th Birthday at Mystery and Imagination Bookstore, 238 North Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA 91203. For more information or directions, call 818-545-0206 or visit www.mysteryandimagination.com.

Monday, August 31 – 6:30 pm

Ray will be at the Memorial Branch Library, 4625 W. Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, 90019. to support the library. The event is free, Ray’s books will be for sale and he will be happy to sign those that are purchased at the event. For more information or directions, call 323-938-2732 or search the web at Memorial Branch Library, W. Olympic.

Be sure to check in on Ray’s website: www.raybradbury.com

Ray Bradbury's Pandemonium Theatre Company
Established 1963
Ray Bradbury, Co-Founder, Producer and Playwright
The late Charles Rome Smith, Co-Founder and Director

Pandemonium Press
Marlene and Arnold Kunert – Editors
Email to pande_press@cox.net if you no longer wish to receive this publication.
©2009 RAY BRADBURY ENTERPRISES

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
At the Venice event, they should show "Ray Bradbury: Story of A Writer" instead (or as well). It shows a younger RB cycling around Venice.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I again invite anybody from the board attending Comic-Con to hunt me down and say hello. I won't have a red carnation in my lapel but I will be with another person, of note, you may wish to see. Cool

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I just arrived at the train station this afternoon (the 22nd), and will seek you out from Preview Night onwards!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groovista:
I just arrived at the train station this afternoon (the 22nd), and will seek you out from Preview Night onwards!

I'm lazy and will be there on Saturday only.

John King Tarpinian