Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to know when Mr. Bradbury will be doing any appearances/booksings in the Los Angeles/Orange County areas? Will he be doing a book tour to promote his new books?

Any input would greatly be appreciated as I would like to meet him and have my book signed!

Posts: 27 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scotty:
I would like to know when Mr. Bradbury will be doing any appearances/booksings in the Los Angeles/Orange County areas? Will he be doing a book tour to promote his new books?

Any input would greatly be appreciated as I would like to meet him and have my book signed!

On January 19th Mr. B is scheduled to be at the opening night of his new play series, The Invisible Boy. Go to www.plays411.com for tickets.

When he attends one of his plays there is a reception afterwards where attendees will get a chance to get books signed and talk to the master. He will gladly sign a couple books you may bring. Generally, on nights that Mr. B is in attendance his books are also available to purchase at the theatre.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scotty:

Scotty,

Here is something else you may wish to attend:
Eaton Science Fiction Conference
May 16-18, 2008
UC Riverside

http://www.newsroom.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?id=1735

http://eatonconference.ucr.edu/

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION!

HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR!

Posts: 27 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I badly want to attend this. I badly wish to sit in the same amphatheatre with the man and send my telepathic good wishes his way. It is incredbily important for me. I am willing to purchase a plane ticket and fly in from Toronto.

But I am schedualed to work that day. It is doubtfull I can get out of it. Nor can I quit suddenly without leaving many people in the lurch.

Life is funny sometimes.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Further to jkt's post about the Eaton Conference, I recently received a draft schedule which shows that Ray's appearance is set for Saturday 17th May between 4 and 7pm.

I should emphasise that this is a DRAFT schedule - i.e. subject to change.

I should also say that, other than by paying to attend the conference (which is what I will be doing), I have no idea how to get tickets to Ray's presentation.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I should also say that, other than by paying to attend the conference (which is what I will be doing), I have no idea how to get tickets to Ray's presentation.

It is open to the public and free of charge. Seating is limited to 500, available on the "first-come, first-serve" basis. Doors open at 3:30PM. If you wish to park on campus, the cost is $5; permits can be purchased at Information Kiosks located at University Avenue/West Campus Drive and Canyon Crest Drive/Martin Luther King Blvd.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Appearances, here is another member of this forum board who will be attending the Mars Conference:
Philip Nichols (School of Design, University of Wolverhampton, UK)
“Re-Presenting Mars: Bradbury’s Martian Chronicles in Media Adaptation.”
Ray Bradbury's Mars, as originally presented in magazine short stories, was an inconsistent planet. Sometimes resembling Barsoom, other times Arizona or Illinois, it was only with the book presentation of The Martian Chronicles (1950) that some sense of unity was given to the place. Yet over the decades, episodes from the Chronicles have continued to be removed from this context and re-presented singly as adaptations in radio, film and television.
This paper explores the ways in which Bradbury's tales have maintained a dual existence: as pointed, isolated, sometimes contradictory single stories, popular in adaptation; and as elements in a rich and complex re-telling of the American experience, never out of print. The paper will examine key adaptations of Bradbury's Martian tales, many of them authored by Bradbury himself, and address the presentation of Mars as both simplistic backdrop and complex arena.

http://eatonconference.ucr.edu/abstracts.php#nichols

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Speaking of Appearances, here is another member of this forum board who will be attending the Mars Conference: Philip Nichols

I'm just so proud of our Phil!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they got some of the details a bit skewed, but otherwise that's correct!

jkt - any chance you could remove my email address from the above post? The fewer email harvesters that grab it, the less spam I will receive!

Another member of this forum is also presenting a paper on the same day...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I'm just so proud of our Phil!

Aw, shucks.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
any chance you could remove my email address from the above post? The fewer email harvesters that grab it, the less spam I will receive!

Another member of this forum is also presenting a paper on the same day...

Email address removed.

"Aw, sucks" is a Cockney phrase?

I did not see the listing of Senior Dark. Did I miss it?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like a negative movie review.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:

Eric is right below Phil.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Email address removed.

Thanks, jkt.

Don't know about "Aw, sucks", but "Aw sHucks" seems to be quite universal in the English-speaking world, if a Google Search is anything to go by.

Is "Senior Dark" Mr Dark's father?

Big Grin

(Just thought I'd join in with those smiley faces.)

- Phil