Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Jack Williamson, 1908-2006

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Williamson, 1908-2006
 Login/Join

posted
Jack Williamson, the science fiction writer, critic and academic, died yesterday at the age of 98.

Ray Bradbury says that Williamson was one of the first professional writers to help him in his career. (In a 2000 interview he said "Jack is a wonderful man, a terrific man. He was very kind to me when I was 19 years old. He read my stuff long before Leigh Brackett did, and it was really bad in those days."

There is a good account of Jack's life and works here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Williamson

.. and a little bit more info on my website.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great guy. Loved his stuff. He was active ‘till just a while back at conventions.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Williamson's first story was "The Metal Man" (1928--Amazing) with the opening line, "The Metal Man stands in a dark, dusty corner of the Tyburn College Museum." and that is how I have always pictured Mr. Williamson.

Rest In Peace.

That first story is about a man who arrives in a box. Sound familiar?

================================================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This morning NPR radio did a short memorial to Jack Williamson that included a short, gracious comment from Ray Bradbury on the influence of Jack Williamson on other writers and the fact the he would take over his "awful" stories to Jack Williamson's apartment, and he would graciously go through them with him to help improve Ray's writing. I have seen Ray pass this kind of graciousness on to others and it is a great thing!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the following in the LA Times Obituary yesterday. The paper has become a bit nasty lately, since it was sold to Tribune, but there are some who are tring to buy it back and return it to glory. You may have to register to access this article because of this situation?
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-...ov14,1,7844040.story

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great article, and I had no problem with the link. Thanks.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Here is a link to the Flickr page I set up for photos from the memorial for Jack Williamson. It was a wonderful day full of loving tributes and laughter. Connie Willis presented the tributes and saved the one from Ray to read last.
-Patricia Rogers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22901299@N00/sets/72157594380452679/

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He does exist!

[per the above Flickr link]:
Sneaking out of the Jack Williamson movie theater into the Bradbury movie theater, and running through the aisles, I came across more than 4 photos of Sam Weller taken earlier this year at Bradbury functions, including a couple at Libertyville High School, in Libertville, IL. AHA! Sam Weller IS alive!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PatR, thanks for posting those photos. They are a good reminder of Jack Williamson's greatness: all those books, all those awards and honours.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link below will take you to a 1985 photo of three of my favorite writers: Ray Bradbury, A.E. Van Vogt (in the middle) and Jack Williamson. Both Jack Williamson and A.E. Van Vogt were great friends of Ray. For those who may not have read much by Mr. Van Vogt or Mr. Williamson, it's difficult to recommend just one book. However, I think I would pick SLAN for Mr. Van Vogt, and DARKER THAN YOU THINK by Mr. Williamson.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__Azv...lliamson+Chasons.jpg

And here is what Ray Bradbury said about Jack Williamson to the Los Angeles Time in 2006 upon learning of his death at age 98: “Jack Williamson was one of the great science-fiction writers. He did a series of novels which affected me as a young writer with dreams. I met him at 19, and he became my best friend and teacher.”

Posts: 2453 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post