Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Who are YOU?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are YOU?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ditto Faler!

I am sure that all of hearts go out to those in Louisiana and Mississippi for their horrendus losses.

We were very fortunate here in that it first looked like Katrina was going to hit Ft. Lauderdale head-on as a Cat 1 Hurricane. Just before land fall it diverted south to Hallandale Beach, went inland and then headed south through Homestead (which had been devastated in Hurricane Andrew in 1992) with extensive flooding and power outages throughout.

Our electricity was out 10 hours whereas some here in Broward County are just getting it back on.

Broken trees branches, falled trees, and nine deaths, we were very fortunate. But the season isn't over until November. Francis and Jeanne last year hit in September. We love it here in Florida and it is the price we pay to live here.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you’re OK, biplane 1!

And may God be with all those who were affected by that horrible storm.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the guy trying to figure out why if you kill something on the path in "a sound of thunder" why doesn't it affect the future? I haven't read the book, don't have access to it and I'm just curious. What's special about the path?

"Just Visiting"

Posts: 2 | Registered: 31 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Preston Child,

the best advice is: read the story! If I recall correctly, the path is a special one which is laid down by the time travellers. It hovers a few feet above ground.

All sorts of holes can be picked in the story - there is a quite nice examination of the time travel issues here - but Bradbury's stories are metaphors, not literal science fiction. This is what has kept this story a classic for over fifty years (while similar ones such as L.Sprague De Camp's "A Gun for Dinosaur" have faded from view.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is Golmer.....an old nickname.I use this name for MANY sites. Razzer

email-
goofy1_22@hotmail.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Golmer,

-Golm

Posts: 17 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31:

Whoa! You must be quite a Doyle fan! Yes, I knew Heinlin got the name from the Holmes stories, but I didn't know exactly why. (Though he hints at the reason in the book) I'll look into reading the stories you mentioned.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my real name, because I am a writer. Using your actual name on posts will increase your exposure on Google and other search engines.
I'm from Seattle, Washington. Rather than bore you with my lame text, I would send you over to Adventure Books. Fun place. Turn up your speakers if you go there... Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Blevins, I too am a former Seattle-ite. Are you a Patches Pal?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On quite a few forums, many people would hate me for what I am doing right now...

...bringing back the dead.

I do mean no harm, I so badly wanted to answer this forum, even if 90% of the posters have already gone on to more present topics. So!

My name isn't Kukai Aoki, and I am not Japanese! I'm an american, but I have many monikers for different genres of writing. When I write Japan-inspired stories, I use Kukai Aoki. When I write about myself, I use my real name. When I write about everything else, My moniker is Vincent William Freud.

I would have used a Ray Bradbury-themed screen-name, but my fellow boardmembers took all the good ones!

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post