Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What actor's would you pick for FH451
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What actor's would you pick for FH451
 Login/Join

posted
Montag ____________________

Millie ______________________

Captain Beatty ____________________

Clarisse ______________________

Old Lady ________________________

Faber ________________________

Misc Fireman ____________________

Granger ________________________

Reader's ________________

Later Patrick

Sorry but I'm so excited about this screenplay/ It's my favorite book.

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag - Hugo Weaving
Millie - Dee Wallace
Beatty - Harvey Keitel or Bruce Dern
Clarisse - A young unknown
Old Lady(Mrs. Hudson) - Judi Dench
Faber - Morgan Freeman
Fireman - Rick Schroder
Granger - Bruce Dern or Harvey Keitel
Readers - Steve Martin, Dick Gregory, Robin Williams

Patrick, I posted a similar game here last year - I Love this kind of stuff.

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are all hereby assigned to catch the reruns of "Early Edition" being shown on PAX and vote for Kyle Chandler as Montag!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Rent "The Interview" and vote for Hugo Weaving.

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where might Patrick Stewart fit in?

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick,
I love your idea. Thought some might like to revisit this same topic. Now that Darabont is final, we can still imagine the casting.

Author Topic: Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
Green Shadow
Member posted 01-19-2002 04:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Director: Spielberg
Montag: Ed Harris
Beatty: Christopher Walken
Clarisse: LeeLee Sobieski
Mildred: ?
Faber: ?

IP: Logged

dandelion
Moderator posted 01-20-2002 04:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ed Harris? Ew, I dunno, good actor, but kinda too bald. Put him in "The Martian Chronicles," he's more of an astronaut type. How about Matthew Modine? Did you catch him in the remake of "Flowers for Algernon?" He equalled and excelled Cliff Robertson's Oscar-winning performance! Winona Ryder would have been good as Clarisse, but she's getting a bit long in the tooth for 17 and if she keeps smoking like a chimney she'll shrivel up to nothing if she isn't already, but she does need a break. I like her. She is intense enough to play Millie, although I sort of picture Millie as blond and frowzy. I hope they don't get Hillary Swank, she's too annoying for Clarisse and not annoying enough for Millie. You know what, they should get Meg Ryan as Millie. I'm sick of seeing her play all these cute roles. I want to boo her as a real bitch.

Nightshade
Member posted 02-12-2002 04:49 PM
This is a daydream I've entertained for years, and my list has evolved with time. At one point I had Harrison Ford as Montag (too old now), at another Gary Oldman. I, too, had Wynona Ryder cast as Clarisse, as well as Drew Barrymore. Christopher Walken as Captain Beatty? Interesting!
Here's my current wish list:

Director: Peter Jackson
Montag: Kevin Spacey
Beatty: Gene Hackman
Clarisse: Natalie Portman
Mildred: Kim Bassinger
Faber: Anthony Hopkins

oldtoby
Junior Member posted 02-12-2002 11:39 PM
What about this?
Director: Ridley Scott
Montag: Rutger Hauer ( I know he's probably too old...but still)

Lolo
Junior Member posted 02-15-2002 03:12 PM
Rutger Hauer is such a mythical ageless hero type, why not? And where do you think Michael Weis (The Pretender) would fit in? He's so intense, he keeps you rooting for him 'til the bitter end! And please! please, someone! tell Meg Ryan to get a short haircut with some style to it. She's too old for those cutesy little shaggy do's she's adopted lately (hate to admit it, but she can act).
Lo

Andy
Junior Member posted 03-27-2002 05:30 PM
After discussion with a friend at work we came up with
Montag:Hugo Weaving
Beatty:Harvey Keitel
Faber:Morgan Freeman
Mildred ee Wallace
Clarisse:an unknown(perfect huh?)
Director:Jonathan Frakes(open your mind to this one everyone, go watch First Contact)

crumley
Member posted 03-28-2002 07:04 AM
Montag: David Morse
Clarisse: Jena Malone (played the younger Jodie Foster in CONTACT)
Mildred: Julianne Moore
Beatty: Patrick Stewart
Screenplay: RB
Director: Terry Gilliam

Sinning
Junior Member posted 04-02-2002 02:36 PM
Wow! Some of you are really taking my idea for Beatty and sticking him in Montag's role. Here are my pics, but if you look in movies with the bradbury feel, you will see that I have gone through a million choices.
Director: Speilberg or Ridley Scott
Montag: Jude Law
Beatty: Ed Harris (watch the rock) or Hugo
Weaving
Faber: 100% Patrick Stewart
Clarisse: Jenna Malone or Anna Paquin
Mildred: Juliet Landau

uncle
Member posted 04-10-2002 12:57 AM
Director: Terry Gilliam or Stephen Speilberg
Montag: Hugh Jackman or Nicolas Cage
Beatty: Kenneth Brannagh or Jonathan Price
Clarisse: Cristie Ricci or Anna Paquin
Mildred: Drew Barrymore or Charleze Theron
Faber: Morgan Freeman or John Lithgow
Screenplay: RB
Budget:unlimited
Flexible cast choice, due to actor availability. I really want to see what actually makes it onto the screen!!! When it gets done.
[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-10-2002).]

greensparkler
Junior Member posted 04-11-2002 03:07 AM
I think I would rather have a bunch of talented unknowns play in F451. Having famous actors would give it the overpublicization that could lead to a flop, and I'd hate to see that.

uncle
Member posted 04-11-2002 09:59 AM
Good Point.

greensparkler
Junior Member posted 04-26-2002 02:29 PM
wow. did i kill this thread? I apologize.

crumley
Member posted 04-27-2002 12:36 AM
No, it's just sleeping. We're all waiting for real news about the film.
While you're waiting, add a post to the similarly-themed ILL.MAN thread I started; it barely got off the ground!

tammy
Junior Member posted 05-02-2002 05:59 PM
director: howard, spielberg, or maybe david lynch?
montag: michael weiss (the pretender) or maybe george clooney, but kevin spacey would be good also
can't have a movie without gene hackman...

Patricia
Junior Member posted 05-13-2002 09:44 PM
That would be a tough call
I wouldn't mind seeing Roy Dupuis playing Montag (he played Michael in Nikita and was also in the Last Chapter with Michael Ironside). He is an amazing actor.

dandelion
Moderator posted 12-16-2002 09:05 PM
For an actor with less box office draw (but not unknown) try Kyle Chandler as Montag. For more box office draw, Charlie Sheen. They both fit the general description, and Charlie has so much attitude--I'm sure they'd play it rather differently. I know if (please, NO!) David Lynch were doing it he'd want (GOD FORBID!) Kyle MacLachlan. I guess DUNE had to be remade, they screwed that up so bad. I could even see Tom Cruise--he made a believer of Anne Rice. Martin Sheen would be good as one of the older characters. He's one of those rare actors (like Dean Stockwell) who are so wonderful they're equally great, and fun to watch, as good or bad guys! (Gregory Peck keeps trying for this but can't quite pull it off.)

Mr. Dark
Member posted 12-16-2002 10:42 PM
I kind of like Nightshade's spread, but I might switch Hopkins with Hackman. Hackman played a great "support the guy on the run" character in "Enemy of the State". And Hopkins could put an evil glint into Beatty that would make us cheer his death by fire. Kevin Spacey as Montag is very tempting. He's just crazy enough to be on the edge of nuts, but can pull of a great sense of naive innocence.

Green Shadow
Member posted 12-17-2002 08:14 AM
I love playing this game. Hopkins would, indeed, make a great Beatty. What about Robert Downy, Jr. for Montag?? There's something about him that works on many levels. What do you think?

Nard Kordell
Member posted 12-17-2002 09:18 AM
Green Shadow:::::::
When Robert Downey Jr. was in jail, I wrote him a letter...that one actually got thru. The second letter, I mentiond that perhaps a Bradbury project might interest him, since 451 was being talked about then. That letter I got back. Downey Jr. had been released from jail.

At another time when in LA couple years. ago, I stopped at a small, car rental place, near Los Angeles Airport (LAX) , where they told me there were no cars immediately available. As I was walking out, I see this fellow sitting at the desk, filling out a paper...and say to myself.... "I know this guy...from somewhere."

But I walked out... Lo!.. Can't walk far... I DO know this guy. So I walk in and ask, "Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?" And with a bit of this or that mumble from each of us... he suddenly bluts out, "Why, I am an actor."

Suddenly I blurt out louder, "Hey, you're the bad guy in Mel Gibson"s The Patriot.

And so he was. He also turns up in the second Harry Potter Movie, sporting long white hair. In a pinch, this early morning in Chicago, can't think of the actor's name, (Brain cells do dimish with age)....

But to get to the point... I sent a tape of 'The Patriot' to Ray...and said...this guy would make a great Beatty.

So at least there is enough suggestions out there..certainly all across all the boards....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-17-2002).]

Green Shadow
Member posted 12-17-2002 10:14 AM
Great stories, Nard. Did Robert Downey write back the first time? I'm just hoping that the re-make happens, and Robert Downey is my new first choice for Montag. It would be refreshing to have a dark-haired Montag, Clarisse, and Faber, as well, to show their individuality in a totalitarian, blond, blue-eyed master-race.

Mr. Dark
Member posted 12-17-2002 10:39 AM
Robert Downey could be a good Montag. I like Spacey if Montag is played a little older, but Downey Jr might be a good younger Montag. I don't remember how old he was in the book. (yes, memory cells do seem to die off!)
I admit that I kind of resent these rich, talented people who can't seem to grow up, though.

Green Shadow
Member posted 12-17-2002 10:50 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm...that's about everyone who's made their fortune in film, sports, or the music industry!

Nard Kordell
Member posted 12-17-2002 07:04 PM
Green Shadow / Mr. Dark:::::::::
That's one of the reasons I disliked so Amadeus, the movie.... young punk stupid arrogant idiot.....
Years later, seeing the film with a slightly different attitude, I only somewhat disliked so Amadeus, the movie....young punk stupid arrogant idiot...and extremely gifted.

I think if I saw the movie now, it would be....young punk stupid arrogant idiot, extremely talented, and tragically naive...

Green Shadow:::::: No, Downey Jr. never wrote back....too bad! But then I didn't expect him to.... He was a mess... Gibson was filming in Chicago couple years ago, a film called Payback...and I was standing across the street while he was watching the "rushes" just shot on a small monitor....As he started walking away, I was going to hollar out , "Hey, Montag!!" Like, really loud .... That's when he was considering doing 451. At the very last second, I didn't hollar. To this day, I wish I had....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-17-2002).]

PoseidonMA
Junior Member posted 12-18-2002 12:21 AM
Director: Milos Forman
Montag: Kevin Costner
Beatty: Dustin Hoffman
Clarisse: Anna Paquin
Mildred: Julianne Moore
Faber: Martin Landau
A bit of an all-star cast; probably too expensive. Someone may take exception with my Montag, but I am prepared to defend my choice. You have to admit, though, Faber is right on the money, eh?!

Sincerely,
Matthew Allen

justmuse
Junior Member posted 12-19-2002 05:59 PM
director:spike lee (ha HA!!)Actually, speilburg.
montag: matthew McConaughey
Clarrisse: LeeLee sobieski; cameron diaz
mildred: charlize theron or cameron diaz
faber: Samuel Jackson (yea yea a black faber ha!)
beatty:Bruce willis (he has a crazed glint in his eye. PErfect for the role.

jrobbiep
Junior Member posted 12-25-2002 06:03 AM
Director: Spielberg or James Cameron
Montag: Tom Hanks (WHY has noone mentioned him?)or Ewan McGregor
Beatty: Patrick Stewart
Clarisse: The blonde girl from "American Dreams" TV show or Natalie Portman.
Mildred: Kirstie Alley

Does anyone know who is writing the screenplay?

DanB
Member posted 01-27-2003 07:38 AM
Hello, all. It's been a while since I've been up here (my computer has been quite ill) but i'm enjoying catching up on everything that's been recently posted.
I'd fully agree with Anthony Hopkins as Beatty, and if the director wanted him played younger, I'd substitute John Malkovich. Both have showed that they can possess that kind of cold intellect and emotional disconnection. Jena Malone is a great pick for Clarrise, I agree. Faber, I think, might work better as someone who appears more innocuous, like Richard Attenbough, perhaps. It seems the majority of folks have settled on Spielberg, and I must agree that his films, independently, come in a rather close approximation to Ray Bradbury's exuberant style.
Montag... who knows? Ed Harris is a good actor, certainly, but I'd go for someone perhaps younger, with more self-doubt: how about Luke Wilson?

Mr. Dark
Member posted 01-27-2003 10:42 AM
Luke Wilson is an interesting idea. Does he have the "edge" required to come out in rebellion against the system? How about Edward Norton? I could see him going from an innocent party-line guy to an open rebel.

Green Shadow
Member posted 01-27-2003 05:34 PM
A chess game of options. Been thinking that Nicole Kidman would be a good Mildred. Her range as an actress is quite impressive. I'm still inclined to go with Ed Harris as Montag; he would work well with her as would Jude Law. I think I've ruled out Robert Downey, Jr. as Montag for now. Your move.

groon
Junior Member posted 02-11-2003 06:30 PM
I must agree with greensparkler on the unknowns thing, but for the sake of this post, here's what I've always thought.
Montag: Bruce Willis - he can play the phisical oriented role which contains just a hint of curiousity about books, without really knowing what to do with it.
Faber: Christopher Lloyd - a bit obvious, perhaps, but I really liked the idea someone had about Morgan Freeman, I think that'd really work.
Beatty: Gene Hackman - nuff said.
The White Clown: - Jim Carrey
For the other characters I have a few different (but no concrete) ideas. Someone mentioned Kevin Spacey? Maybe he could be Granger? For Mildred I think any stupid Hollywood blonde would do. For Clarisse though, I think it would have to be someone who could display some kind of intelligence, so I like the Natalie Portman idea. I just think that the mechanical hound would suck if it was computer animation. It would look WAY cooler if it was stop motion. Denham's Dentrifice the techno remix?

Vikki
Junior Member posted 02-13-2003 09:17 PM
Director: Martin Scorsese
Montag: Guy Pierce
Beatty: Robert DeNiro
Clarisse: Maggie Gyllenhaal
Mildred: Jennifer Connely
Faber: John Lithgow
All I could think while reading this novel was how awesome it would be if directed by Martin Scorsese.

jrobbiep
Junior Member posted 02-16-2003 11:50 PM
Montag: tobey macguire
Clairese: the girl from American Dreams
Beatty: Jack Nickolson
Director: Ron Howard

Nard Kordell
Member posted 02-17-2003 12:42 AM
Director:
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
Montag:
Aidan Quinn or Robert Downey, Jr.

Beatty:
John Malkovich, James Caan (or that fellow that played the English Captain who fights Mel Gibson, in the movie, The Patriot)

Clairisse:
Jennifer Connely

Mildred:
Debra Winger

Music:
Carter Burwell

Faber:
Richard Atttenborough

Green Shadow
Member posted 02-17-2003 09:20 AM
Nard,
Are these the Coen's who did Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? If so, I loved that movie! George Clooney was inspired.
Also, I'm glad to see you, like me, are thinking Robert Downey, Jr. might work in the role of Montag. Troubled, gifted...its all in his eyes.

Nard Kordell
Member posted 02-17-2003 11:39 AM
GreenShadow:
Right, same people who did..." Brother, Where Art Thou"
That other fellow I recommended for Beatty, who played that awful miserable English Captain in "The Patriot"...also landed a part in the 2nd Harry Potter, playing that guy with the really long white hair. Gosh darn...I gotta get his full name, correct spelling...and know the names of the characters he plays in other movies. Double Duh!!))

Celsius232
Junior Member posted 03-21-2003 11:51 PM
Director: Ridley Scott (Spielburg would turn it into a fairy tale)
Montag: the guy from "The Pretender", or the actor who played Max in "Pi"
Faber: Robin Williams
Clarisse: Anna Paquin or Christina Ricci (too old?)
Beatty: Gary Oldman
Mildred: Naomi Watts

The Coma-man
Junior Member posted 04-09-2003 11:19 AM
Director: Ridley Scott!! If not him, Terry Gilliam or Adrian Lyne (watch Jacob's Ladder, then you know why!).
But I would wish either C. Nolan, Richard Kelly or Aronofsky to direct it. Fahrenheit needs somebody young and talented.

Montag: Jude Law would be my first choice. Second one... Guy Pearce.

Clarisse: Natalie Portman, or, lean back: AVRIL LAVIGNE! She never acted before, don't even know if she can, but she reminded me of her.

Mildred: Hmm... hard one... it stands between Cameron Diasz, Nicole Kidman and Juliane Moore. Diasz can play sooo fucked up...

Beatty: Al Pacino or John Malcovich

Faber: Robin Williams... sounds odd, but why not? Older? Uhm... Ian Holm.

The Coma-man
Junior Member posted 04-09-2003 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Celsius232:
[B]Director: Ridley Scott (Spielburg would turn it into a fairy tale)

Yeah, he allreaddy messed up Minority Report... god I hate that last quartal!

The Coma-man
Junior Member posted 04-10-2003 10:50 AM
JUST FORGOTT HIM!!
Tim Burton and David Fincher! THAT WOULD BE A MOVIE!!!

Paul Atreides
Junior Member posted 04-23-2003 08:56 PM
Given that, in the book, Montag is 30 years old, I would go with a younger actor. The casting would be difficult. It would be interesting to see Nicole Kidman as Mildred. Anthony Hopkins would be interesting as Beatty.

This topic is 2 pages long: 1 2
All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest

Topic: Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
RAINTASTER
Member posted 04-28-2003 01:09 PM
When It's Slow At Work We Play This Game Sometimes. The Funnest One So Far Was Gilligan's Island /All Black Cast.

DanB
Member posted 04-28-2003 11:00 PM
People keep coming up with new and
interesting suggestions here- cool! Nard, I love the Cohens' movies, but I don't know if their unique, underhanded surreal spin on the commonplace would be right for F451. Barton Fink was another matter (God, what a wierd movie that was). And, Carter Burwell is one of the best film composers we have today! That guy from the Patriot and Harry Potter (I don't know his name either- my friends and I have sometimes just referred to him as that "evil actor". As for Amadeus, I would add up "young punk, fantastically gifted, tragically naive, and historically inaccurate." Great movie, but pretty liberally dramatised...
While I generally can appreciate and get something out of David Lynch's movies, I would much prefer a F451 with a recognizable plot. Aranofsky is an interesting choice- with real potential; he's still starting out, though. I'd like to see a couple more of his efforts before giving something as dear to our hearts as F451 to him.

Terry Gilliam and David Fincher are interesting prospects to direct, each for very different reasons. Brazil and The Game might both have a little Bradbury potential in them, in their own ways.

I stick by the first directorial prospect offered here, and my initial pick, as well. I was thinking about this topic just last night, coincidentally, after watching Empire of the Sun- that Spielberg comes as close as anyone to capturing the Feel of Bradbury on the screen. Maybe he would make it into a Fairy Tale. Isn't that kind of what it is? Isn't that kind of what everything is, to some extent? A cautionary tale, but one that, rather than warn us about the dangers of disobeying our parents and straying from the path, warns us about the dangers inherent in ourselves as a society. Sometimes, the oldest stories are the truest, and we find ourselves returning to the same stomping ground again and again, in a different disguise each time...

Cheers to a work in progress,
Dan

[This message has been edited by DanB (edited 04-28-2003).]

DanB
Member posted 04-28-2003 11:07 PM
Raintaster:
Tell me that Samuel L. Jackson plays the Skipper and I'll die a happy man...

Green Shadow
Member posted 04-29-2003 09:46 AM
Dan,
Enjoyed your take. Interesting. By Brazil did you mean Boys from Brazil? That's an old but terrific movie. Who directed it?
Denzel as Montag? What about a Latin cast? I really think that in a perfect world a director should choose the most gifted actors not the best draws. But I guess that's utterly naive.

RAINTASTER
Member posted 04-29-2003 02:18 PM
DanB. As A Matter Of Fact It Came Down To Samuel L. Or Bernie Mac With Dave Chappelle Or Chris Tucker As Gilligan. Terry Gilliam Is A Great Choice As Director, I Also Liked The Tim Burton And Cohen Bros. Suggestions, But Has Anybody Thought About Peter Weir?

DanB
Member posted 04-29-2003 11:37 PM
Green Shadow,
Nope, Brazil is a different movie- kind of a strange one- something like Orwell's 1984 reinvisioned through Monty Python and Tom Stoppard, very dark, but with a surreal, sometimes even goofy streak. Boys from Brazil was the one about cloning Adolf Hilter, based on that Ira Levin book. I saw it a Long time ago, when I was too young to really get it, probably. Yet some stuff does stick out in memory. I should probably watch it again sometime.

DanB
Member posted 04-29-2003 11:43 PM
Hmmm...
The Peter Weir films that I know are Dead Poets Society and Witness, both great movies, and The Mosquito Coast, which I think took a harsher rap from critics than it deserved to...
He probably wouldn't be my first pick, but he's a great director.
I imagine that the next logical step would be Morgan Freeman as the Professor.
Or maybe a switched-gender F451, with Jullienne Moore as Montag and Judi Dench as Faber.
Or maybe I should stop now...

Yeah, probably.

Good Evening,
Dan

The Coma-man
Junior Member posted 05-04-2003 09:32 AM
Hey, I found the perfect cast for Clarisse! It was all the time right before my nose: one of my favourite actresses, Claire Danes!!!!
As for 30 year old guys, there are manny! Guy Pearce and Jude Law are my favs.

The Coma-man
Junior Member posted 05-04-2003 09:38 AM
Oh and again for the directors...
Spielberg... ah, I just hate him! He might have the right visual style, but with and after A.I. he just copyed it from Kubrick!

I think a lot 'bout Nolan now... He is one of my favourite directors, made my favourite movie, the urban masterpiece "Memento", delivered a good remake with "Insomnia" and is just up to make "Batman 5" (rumours are out that Guy Pearce will play it and that the bad-man will be the scarecrow). Fahrenheit 451 would be perfect for him!

DanB
Member posted 05-04-2003 06:37 PM
Coma-Man,
I can't bring myself to agree with you about Spielberg (and how the two directors are represented in A.I. is a whole different barrel of toxic waste). Not that everything he touches turns to gold... I thought Hook was really kind of lousy, but at his best (Empire of the Sun, Schindler's List, Jaws)he will always be one of my favorite directors.

To be more agreeable, however, Christopher Nolan is also amazing, and I would agree, also an excellent suggestion for F451. Hopefully, if that rumor is true, he'll save the Batman series from the ruinous directions it has been taking since Tim Burton left the picture.
Have you seen Following, the picture he made before Momento? Also a very, very slick movie- which also uses non-linear timelines.

here retaining my objective indulgence in the sentimental,
Dan

sheesh... sorry for the repetition. not sure how it happened. i tried to delete it, but only forum leaders can do that.
hopefully soon to be swept away,
Dan

Dan: One way you can delete repetitions is by going to edit, selecting the text, and typing "Duplicate Post Deleted" over it. I'll delete such posts during my usual cleanups. (Another thing you could do is pull a "Mission Impossible," read this post, and then edit over the end.)

Dandelion

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 05-05-2003).]

The Coma-man
Junior Member posted 05-21-2003 09:55 AM
No havn't seen Following yet, it isn't out here in Germany... have to wait!

groon
Junior Member posted 07-10-2003 12:49 AM
Tim Burton has a grat eye for visual design, but he tends to overlook the story in his quest for good art direction. (in his remake of planet of the apes, how do you explain where the horses came from? Or how Thade got to earth at the end? The art direction, musical score, and make-up were good though) I would have to say no to Burton. The rumor I've heard for Clarisse is Charlize Theron. I think, #1, she's too old for the part, #2, to me she just doesn't come off as deep as the character would need.

Nard Kordell
Member posted 07-10-2003 12:59 AM
F-451
How about if ...The Three Stooges were able to do 'Fahrenheit'.
Come on...think REALLY outside of the box....

Mr. Dark
Member posted 07-10-2003 01:17 AM
Nard: Can you even SEE the box?
:-)

Nard Kordell
Member posted 07-10-2003 10:29 AM
Mr. Dark:
Come to think of it... not really...

Miss Piggy
Junior Member posted 07-12-2003 04:24 PM
I'd like christopher Walken in the cast
Also for director - Tim Burton

Nard Kordell
Member posted 07-12-2003 11:50 PM
Rethinking my comment above, I have concluded that we should take some of the Great Classics...and make them into comedies. But NOT the comedies you see today. These are NOT comedies. These are pathetic pieces of film making. Where are the Modern Laurel and Hardies, the contemporary Sid Caesar at his prime. Where is the new Lucille Ball? Where is the charisma of a Jimmy Durante? They are not quirks of nature, but representations of Great Art. We have a mentality going on out there that says it must have to do with sex, more sex, and throw some expletives in it...in fact profously sprinkle everything with the aforementioned... Hardly anything is funny anymore. There are moments in Bruce Almighty. And Jim Carey could do so much more. Some of the people on Drew Carey show are incredible. But their format is 'base'. Maybe the old comedy doesn't sell anymore... but if we continue on a twisted path, two generations from now we'll probably wind up witnessing the burning of all the film and DVDs and VHSs of anything remotely familiar to great comedy.
No,my senses have not betrayed me... it's just, wouldn't, let's say.... Frankenstein, as a comedy be, like, really funny?

dandelion
Moderator posted 07-13-2003 01:42 AM
They'd be going far to beat the classic "Young Frankenstein."

patrask
Member posted 07-13-2003 01:44 PM
Nard:
For once I agree with you! My wife and I went to the movies yesterday and walked out of three films:
1. The Guild of Extraordinary Gentlemen - which I was really looking foreard to seeing.
2. Pirates of the Carribean
3. Legally Blonde II - my wifes first choice
The first two were so full of themselves with violent, special effects, and immitation of The Matrix II that I just gave up on the movies. No. 3 was just plain silly. Ok for 13 year olds.
Hollywood is bankrupt. They have no sense of story or plot. It is just a carnival side show of expectations without any real delivery. I know I am getting old, but I have seen most of the movies made since the '20s on TV or in person somewhere, sometime, and they were for the most part well made and had plots that real people moved in drawing the audience onto their stories. What they are putting out there now is just disappointing and frankly troublesome. A whole generation is growing up without the imagination needed to understand a Ray Bradbury. Some of the smaller indepentent film makers are doing a great job. Their movies are harder to find but well worth the waiting for. I want my heartstrings to vibrate, my mind to wonder, the skin on my body to crawl and real tears to flow. All I get is an earache from the overly enhanced sound extravaganza of cars crashing, guns exploding, and bodies decorporalizing into bloody fragments of DNA that splatt against the camera. Where is the artist, the comedian, the movie makers? Watch the latest digitally enhanced version of "Metropolis" from Kino if want to see fine movie making.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 07-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 07-13-2003).]

dandelion
Moderator posted 07-13-2003 03:26 PM
Some "chick flicks" are okay. The most recent adaptations of "Little Women" and "Sense and Sensibility," (I know, those are getting to be 8 and 10 years ago now, but they were wonderful,) "The Piano," and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," all beautifully written, filmed, and acted. When men degenerate into mayhem, it's up to the women to save civilization.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it, where one post says Patrick Stewart as Beatty and the very next has him as Faber. Gotta go with Sinning here. Patrick Stewart as Faber with Sly Stallone as Beatty, Kyle Chandler as Montag, and Anna Paquin as Clarisse. Should Millie be frowzy like in the original movie or damn good-looking? Some of the best TZ bit�hes were real lookers, cruel and vain. Check out "A Stop at Willoughby" and "A Short Drink from a Certain Fountain" and get someone like that. (Also keep in mind that a guy who looks like Kyle Chandler wouldn't realistically have married a schlump anyhow.)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag- Adrian Brody, Ray Fiennes, Kiefer Sutherland
Millie- MOLLY SHANNON
Clarrise- Hillary Duff, Mandy Moore, Olsen Twin???
Faber- Alec Baldwin, Ed Harris,
Beatty- Donald Sutherland, Jon Voight,

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag - I'll get back to you...
Millie - I'll get back to you...
Beatty - I think Gene Hackman would be perfect
Clarisse - I like the Anna Paquin idea!
Old Lady(Mrs. Hudson) - Judi Dench would be fine
Faber - John Hurt
Fireman - Unknowns so they don't command too nuch attention
Granger - Kevin Spacey
Readers? - I'm not sure who is meant by this
Paramedics - Sam Jackson and Mickey Rourke

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green shadow, you got way too much time on your hands.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish!!

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Denzel Washington, as Montag

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag - Guy Pearce
Clarisse - Elisha Cuthbert
Faber - Patrick Stewart
Mildred - Charlize Theron
Beatty - Mel Gibson

You can vote for the cast at www.youcastit.com

Posts: 4 | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That site needs to have more options...I didn't think their lists were very good. I hope these aren't the only actors/actresses actually being considered.

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yestermorrow:

You got THAT right...!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post