Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The re-make of 451??

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The re-make of 451??
 Login/Join

posted
Am new to the board. My mother mentioned last week that Ray B. announced that Mel Gibson was starring in a re-make of F451. Now, I don't know if she her news wrong or if this is true. I KNOW a re-make of the movie had been in the works for many years at ICON Productions (Mel's film shingle), but it died a few years ago. So...has it cropped up again? Anyone know?

Posts: 1 | Location: los angeles, ca | Registered: 22 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did hear/read something to the effect that F451 was going to be re-made; I want to say Mel Gibson is having something to do with it, but I can't be 100% sure.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me jump in here real quick: some time back, Gibson's company was involved with a re-make of F-451. That never panned out but I understand Frank Darabont is now on board and the last I heard that's still a go. But, no, sadly, Gibson is no longer involved.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thread with the most recent detail (including photos of Bradbury and Darabont) is here:
http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000987.html

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A story has appeared over the last two days that director Ramin Bahrani (with whose work I am not familiar) will write, executive produce, and direct a remake of FAHRENHEIT 451 for HBO Films. No further information appears to be presently available. Here are links to the story:

http://consequenceofsound.net/...dary-fahrenheit-451/

http://www.thewrap.com/fahrenh...m-99-homes-director/

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry. Proposals appear all the time on films this or that. Often they appear because the producer/director is seeking support and testing the waters.

We will see. Remakes are often a hard sell.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Robert, that announced plans for films often go unfulfilled. But HBO tends to do what it says it will do, so I am more confident with this one.

I haven't seen any of Ramin Bahrani's previous work, but I know that it has received critical acclaim.

All in all, I am cautiously optimistic.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HBO has announced that its new version of FAHRENHEIT 451 will air on May 19, 2018. The film stars Michael B. Jordan (of BLACK PANTHER fame) and Michael Shannon (the villain in THE SHAPE OF WATER).

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was my general opinion (and my very knowledgeable lady friend's as well) that the 2018 remake version of Fahrenheit 451 was just awful. Which is a shame, because it had some great casting and a lot going for it. But it just fell flat, completely failing to capture Ray's vision, and I was very disappointed.

Try again, Hollywood.

--SKot

Posts: 16 | Location: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: 23 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't impressed by the casting. Michael B Jordan is exactly the same in every movie. There were some little touches that were nice, like the book rally at the school, the firemen's chants while driving, and the burning of the old woman, though I can't remember the particulars, there was something I liked about that scene. Where they failed was completely changing the story, who Montag was, erasing Mildred, Faber, changing the outcome of the story, and worst of all, violating Clarisse.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was so eager to see the movie, I preordered a DVD. I have watched it twice and, sad to say, it was terrible both times. It didn't get any of the characters right, it missed or mis-interpreted major themes that made the book so important, and was just not well done. The earlier B&W, flawed though it was, is way better than this one.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The earlier film was color, and it sounds as if the later one doesn't improve with repeated viewing.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray liked to say, "Rip the pages out of the book and stuff them in the camera. ..."

Sadly, Ramin Bahrani and the rest of the folks making that movie failed to follow such sage advice, to their detriment. I watched it once, and I have no desire to see it again.

He said, "You're -- You're not waiting anymore, are you, Chris?"

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post