Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    borders/ray's new book

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

borders/ray's new book
 Login/Join

posted
I just wanted to pass this little incident along. I get a couple newsletters each month from Borders. About a year ago when I was making a purchase, they asked for my e-mail address. Then they sent a general newsletter, and gave me the opportunity to sign up for others. I signed up for their romance one (blush) and their sci fi/fantasy one. For those of you who are unfamiliar with them, they come periodically to let the customer know about special sales, author appearances and new releases. Two days ago my sci fi/fantasy one arrived. I was shocked that there was no mention of Ray's new book. Then I noticed they had a link set up for responses to the newsletter. So of course I e-mailed them and took them to task for this. I asked them how they could call themselves a newsletter when someone as great as Ray Bradbury could release a book and there is not even one word about it. I figured I was just venting and that would be the end of it. Much to my surprise I received an answer from a customer service rep who said that she "appreciated my comments and always welcomed feedback." She then went on to say she would bring this to the attention of the Borders Editorial Team for their consideration. I doubt that it will have any effect, but I did feel a little bit of satisfaction. Just thought you might get a laugh out of this!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper:

All depends who is in charge. If they don't especially care for Bradbury, you might... might... find one copy of something like 'Dandelion Wine'. If those in charge like Bradbury, you'll see Ray's books in the window. Editors of the newsletters carry additional weight in that they cater to a large audience of buyers and sellers.

Received a rather large 20 plus page large size Book of the Month 4-color newsprint catalog. Albeit they are Book-of-the-Month reprints, but there they were, quite a few books of Ray's right there on the top of the page, all illustrated

Easton Press has special printings of Ray's works and advertises them nicely. Check out ad for 'Fahrenheit 451': http://eastonpresscatalog.com/t1.asp?Page=4

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-19-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't belonged to the Book-of-the Month Club in a few years, but I'm glad to hear they are featuring some of Ray's books. It's a bit scarey isn't it, to think that if an editor likes a particular author, they get more press and the public finds out about them, and if the editors don't care for certain authors, their books may sit and molder (is that the right word?) on the shelves, with no one ever hearing about them?

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Brabury's large anthology came out, I wrote up a book review and submitted it to the Book editor of our paper (Dallas Morning News). They rejected it (I'm used to it, by now), and I emailed to the editor arguing that if they didn't like mine, they should get a review of this new collection. Bottom line is that she was not a Bradbury fan, and didn't see the importance of a collection of his stories.

It is a sad reality of publishing and book sales that editors and publishers will promote (1) Who they like, and (2) who they think will sell.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually use the Sci Fi book club when I order anything Bradbury. I'm also a member of BOMC, but I've found most of their books are more "mainstream", for lack of a better term. Not that there's anything wrong in that, I order a fair number of books via BOMC, too (although, about 95% of my books I get through Amazon.com).

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Borders redeemed: I got another Borders e-mail newsletter today. This one was their summer reading recommendations. Of course Ray's new book was not featured, but there was a search area. When I typed in "Cat's Pajamas," a wonderful description and review came up. There was even a short biography on Ray. I was planning on getting the book in a few weeks, as I'm very backed up on books right now, but the description was so glowing, I think I'll have to visit my local Borders tomorrow. I'm sorry I don't know how to post the article (lack of computer knowledge) for all of you to see. If someone wants to tell me how, I'll give it a try. Or, go to the Borders site and do the inventory search by title. It's well worth reading!

posted Hide Post
You can click on the ADDRESS (URL) for the site you are looking at on Amazon and then copy it and paste it into a message here. The URL should then appear here and we can click on that and go directly to the Amazon review of the book. I hope.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post