Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    FUTURIA FANTASIA

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FUTURIA FANTASIA
 Login/Join

posted
RAY BRADBURY AWARDED SPECIAL PULITZER PRIZE!

VAGABOND BOOKS
proudly announces

FUTURIA FANTASIA
by
RAY BRADBURY

FUTURIA FANTASIA is Ray Bradbury’s first published work, which he wrote and produced himself.
The place: Los Angeles. The year: 1938.
Ray Bradbury is an 18-year old graduate of Los Angeles High School and America is still living in the grip of The Great Depression. To make a living he sells newspapers on street corners. His heroes are Buck Rogers, Jules Verne, Lon Chaney, Edgar Rice Burroughs, H.G. Wells, and L. Frank Baum. He wrote in his high school yearbook that he is, “headed for literary distinction”” and he dreams of becoming a famous writer.
So, what is a young man, too poor to go to college, to do? Enter Forrest J Ackerman and Bruce Yerke. Ray is invited by them to attend the now legendary Clifton’s Cafeteria Science Fiction Club. Ray meets the writers who will become the great writing stars of the future: Robert Heinlein, Fredric Brown, Henry Kuttner, Leigh Brackett, and Jack Williamson.
Over a period of two years, Ray and Forrest published four issues of FUTURIA FANTASIA, collaborating with artist – Hannes Bok.
Only 100 copies of each issue were originally printed and they preceded his first book, DARK CARNIVAL by nine years. In the meantime Ray was on fire writing stories for the pulp magazines, and FUTURIA FANTASIA is where he gave himself his start.
Time to rejoice! FUTURIA FANTASIA is reborn and a nearly lost document of the golden years of Science Fiction is rediscovered. All four issues are collected and reproduced in hardcover for the first time in an exact facsimile as Ray handmade them.
Ray has written an original preface for this edition that is a memoir of this period of his life and the book also includes an interview of Ray and Forrest J Ackerman by Craig Graham and original never before seen art by Hannes Bok.

Trade Edition $35.00
Signed 1/300 $150.00
1/52 $400.00
Vagabond Books
930 Hartzell St.
Pacific Palisades, Ca 90272
310 9365249
vagabondbooks@gmail.com

ImageFUTURIA_FANTASIA.JPG (35 Kb, 27 downloads)

Posts: 4 | Location: CALIFORNIA | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HURRY, HURRY, HURRY! they're gooooooooin fast!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Vagabond Books website is odd... broken images, pages with no content. I can't find any writeup about this book on the site.

I would LOVE to order a copy of this. Has anyone here ordered a copy, or ordered from this website?

Thank you!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey! I just got the words out of my keyboard. Now, keep the thought going:

https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8061086423

Ironically, a few years back and before J Weist's release, I posted of the need for all of the collected book covers and famous images of RB, then Mr. W. did just that. My neighbor Clair Voyant would be proud of me. I'll anticipate more of the early stuff.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
The Vagabond Books website is odd... broken images, pages with no content. I can't find any writeup about this book on the site.

I would LOVE to order a copy of this. Has anyone here ordered a copy, or ordered from this website?

Thank you!

djmonolith, I ordered mine from Vagabond Books on the www.Alibris.Com web site. Currently the book is $36.25 plus shipping. It appears they have just one copy at this price. They sent the book in a nice box with a premium protective clear book cover.

Additionally, I just checked the www.vagabondbooks.com web site. They have the book for $35.00 plus shipping. This appears on the home page on the right side. Click the book image above the $35.00 price, and you will be taken to another page.. If you click add to shopping cart, you will see it listed for $35.00. I hope this information helps you.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks greenray! Of course another user has the book on Alibris.com reserved.

I ordered the book through the Vagabond Books website, but found the checkout procedure difficult (white text on a white background). I called ahead to make sure that they had copies of the book and they were VERY helpful and accommodating.

I am quite pleased that these stories have been collected and are being made available in a hardbound format. Actually, I am beyond pleased. I have read a couple stories that appeared in Futuria Fantasia. Although these are very obviously EARLY Bradbury, the completist in me can't help but be excited about the possibility of new stories!

I will post when the book arrives and hopefully help generate some excitement about this book. The folks I spoke with at Vagabond were thrilled to know people were finding out about this book.

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered my copy a while ago, and it was delivered (international shipping) about two weeks ago. It's very nicely put together, with an interesting interview with RB and Forry Ackerman to put it in context.

The interior of the book is one of the strangest I've ever seen, but it adds to the feeling of authenticity. You'll know what I mean as soon as you open your copy!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh! My copy arrived today. What a thrill to see these pages! This book is a MUST for all Bradbury fans. Wonderful Bok illustrations and paintings. Great care went into the creation of this book (Ray Bradbury's own original (and fragile... and very valuable) copies were used to create this book. Also includes a fantastic preface from Ray and an interview with Forry and Ray. OK... now on to The Flight of the Good Ship Clarissa...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
Oh! My copy arrived today. What a thrill to see these pages! This book is a MUST for all Bradbury fans. Wonderful Bok illustrations and paintings. Great care went into the creation of this book (Ray Bradbury's own original (and fragile... and very valuable) copies were used to create this book. Also includes a fantastic preface from Ray and an interview with Forry and Ray. OK... now on to The Flight of the Good Ship Clarissa...

I had ten copies offered up for sale during the recent run of Ray's play. We figured they'd last the six week run of the play. They sold out after week 3.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An appreciation of Hannes Bok:

http://www.antiquetrader.com/f...nspired-ray-bradbury

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post