Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Thematic Topic : Censorship
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thematic Topic : Censorship
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"Willful ignorance" is one of my common phrases! It's something I am deploring quite frequently these days.

Yes, it's apathetic - and pathetic.

Its link with censorship is that you can't care about what you don't know about.

I have been differing with the people who say that ignorance is different from stupidity, one can be cured, etc.. Willful ignorance is stupidity, and will not be cured.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dragonfly, all I can say (tongue in cheek) is that I don't know anything about it and I just don't care.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ViL:
Ha ha, I see you guys are really interested in Ray Bradbury and his books.

Fancy that!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ViL, I had forgotten that breathtaking prose. What follows it: "Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top heavy, and tax mad, better it be all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag. Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year."

Or chat-boards (NO, not this one) populated by blithering illiterates so incapable of thinking they couldn't marshal a rational thought if the city issued them a badge.

Apropos of today's administration, no? Definitely time to re-reread it.

Fancy That is a good phrase.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright, Dragonfly. Could that quote be censorship? Im almost done with this dam project and have found some quotes that I think I know the correct category however I would like some confirmation from you guys. First of all, the categorys are Knowledge Versus Ignorance, Isolation, Utopia (Perfect World), Society Versus Individual and censorship.

I need 1 Utopia and 2 Censorship to complete the project.

“’My uncle says there used to be
front porches. And people sat there
sometimes at night, talking when
they wanted to talk, rocking, and not
talking when they didn’t want to talk.
Sometimes they just sat there and
thought about things, turned things
over.’”

Could the above quote be classified under Utopia (Perfect World)?

We never ask questions, or at least
most don’t; they just run the
answers at you, bing, bing, bing,

Could the above quote be classified under Utopia (Perfect World) as well?

Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the goverment is inefficient, topheavy and tax-mad, better it be all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag. Give the people contewsts they win by rembering capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year.

Could the above quote be classified under Censorship? Just want confirmation on that one.

“Nobody listens any more. I can’t talk to the walls because they’re yelling a me. I can’t talk to my wife; she listens to the walls. I just want someone to hear what I have to say. And maybe if I talk long enough, it’ll make sense.”

Also, I was thinking the above quote would be knowledge versus ignorance but it seems isolation is a better fit? What do you guys think..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ViL,

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there is always this, fodder for Fahrenheit 451. Click to right of page to open the book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1596980559/ref=sib_dp_p...-7455665#reader-link

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An unfortunate trend for generations: http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-...ooling/dp/0865714487

(Cue playing of "Little Boxes.")

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time you think you've heard 'em all, this topic hits a new low: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47193483#.T595PN1j2sE

Cheers for subversive books! http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/...ritten/#.T5957N1j2sF

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post