Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
We had the display at our store where I work. It included F-451. I think for a publisher to censor words out of a book constitutes a form of banning. The book was banned by some schools. Here's what I have off of the sheets that we carried with the display, and all the information came from the banned book website I believe.

'Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

Removed from the rquired reading list of the West Marion High School in Foxworth, Miss. (1998) for profanity. Students at the Venado Middle School in Irvine, Ca. received copies of the book with scores of words blacked out. Ironically this book is about censorship with the message that books are banned for fear of creating too much individualism and independent thought.'

You cannot remove books out of circulation, or any other type of media or expression of ideas without jeopardizing our freedoms. You can have appropriate labels and warnings. I fully agree with Chapter 31.

p.s. I think being banned from a school by the officials there does constitute a banning. I'll lay good odds that it was not the only occurrence.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln,
Nope! Don’t even want the labels. Who is perfect enough to make such decisions? But…

“We thank you for your” (note the spelling, Braling II) “support.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Removed from the required reading list = banned?

Not by my definition. That's really torturing the defintion of "banned".

quote:
You cannot remove books out of circulation, or any other type of media or expression of ideas without jeopardizing our freedoms.
Where was the book removed from circulation?

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ban, forbid;prohibit, a formal or authoritative prohibition.

This is the reason F-451 is part of banned books week. Yes, it may have been the school authority's who pulled it, obviously that is enough to qualify it. Maybe that is how it starts, then it snowballs. By the way, I think it is sad that it was a high school. I don't think it would have corrupted their minds, quite the opposite. My point really is that I don't believe that F-451 is part of banned books because of a mistaken belief.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Ray has pointed out, you don't have to light a match to burn a book. Just keep people from reading it.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This theme is also being discussed a bit on the "old board".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
because julie christie was too hot.

high school boys were quitting their studies, boarding trains to london, and hanging out around her apartment in hopes she would fall madly in love with them, move away to some delapidated artist camp, and memorize aristophenes and plato with them.

something had to be done.

Posts: 4 | Location: usa | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post