Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Who are the persons in "Graveyard for lunatics"?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are the persons in "Graveyard for lunatics"?
 Login/Join

posted
ok I found out that they are ray's favorite Science Fiction writers, so for example "Fritz Wong" is Fritz Leiber and "Stanislav Groc" is Stanislaus Lem.

But who are the other aliases for, Roy, Rattigan, Arbuthnot etc?

thanks a lot
sh

Posts: 4 | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although Leiber seems a possibility, I don't remember Bradbury saying much about Stanislaw Lem.

But surely Fritz Wong is much more likely to be a composite of Fritz Lang (film director, director of Metropolis, and a personal friend of Ray's) and James Wong Howe (cinematographer).

I don't know who the other characters might be modelled on.

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best friend Roy is based on Ray Harryhausen, longtime friend who served as best man at Ray's wedding. As recently as this June, Ray was at a party or ceremony honoring Harryhausen. The short story "Tyrannosaurus Rex" ("The Prehistoric Producer") was also inspired by Harryhausen.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very sure that Fritz Wong is at least in part based on Fritz Lang. His description matches perfectly, and I even asked Ray about this character (at a booksigning a few years back) and whether it was based on him, he said yes and recited the story of their ritual greeting of "hello you goddamn son of a bitch." I read graceyard a few years ago, but was it Constance Rattigan? My guess is silent film actress, Constance Talmadge. Her footprints are among the smallest at the Chinese Theater.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Constance was supposed to have been based on a girl Ray knew in high school--a pretty mature one, it would seem!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post