Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Question about collections/reading order
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about collections/reading order
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibush:
...philnic seems to be saying that in Stories of Ray Bradbury, they use the novelized version, but the very next post (by dandelion) says "Apparently they are using the earliest published version"...

I think dandelion was talking about THE COLLECTED STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY, which has a different strategy to THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY:

http://www.kentstateuniversity...ies-of-ray-bradbury/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...my favourite so far is Homecoming...Too bad there are only (7) about those characters (according to Wiki?)

Sounds about right. Bradbury has novelised these stories, too, in a book called FROM THE DUST RETURNED.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, so philnic seems to be saying that in Stories of Ray Bradbury, they use the novelized version, but the very next post (by dandelion) says "Apparently they are using the earliest published version".

No, Philnic was talking about the Eller and Touponce scholarly editions just coming out, and I was talking in one place about Eller and Touponce and in another about the 1980 collection of 100 best titled Stories of Ray Bradbury. Sorry about the confusion.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either way - Martian Chronicles can't be too hard to find. I suppose I'll skip those stories when I get to them and buy the book itself.

Another thing--in the original edition the stories started out in 1999. In later editions all story dates were moved ahead about thirty years. I don't know if any text changes were made.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, my favourite so far is Homecoming. I love the way it described the family, vaguely yet with a lot of atmosphere. Too bad there are only (7) about those characters (according to Wiki?)

Although the novel From the Dust Returned contained great touches, in some ways it didn't live up to the greatness of the original stories.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep in mind I have read a total of 4 stories so far.

You are greatly to be envied.

posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the information.

One last thing. After I'm done with Stories of Ray Bradbury, do you think I should get "Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales"? I ask because it seems like a companion piece to this one...

My main concern is that if I wanted more, or more of one "storyline" (I guess I shouldn't say that as the stories aren't really direct sequels, it seems, like going from Homecoming to Uncle Einar), I'd just end up buying the original collections anyway.

Does Bradbury Stories: 100 have any stories exclusive to that book?

I'm going to have to use that site you guys linked and find out if, taken together, Stories of Ray Bradbury and Bradbury stories "complete" any single collections previously published.

It might seem like I'm reading way too much into this, I think it's twofold. First of all, I get obsessive over the most "efficient" way to get an author's work, and secondly I find book hunting fun.

Posts: 8 | Location: Canada | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Bradbury Stories: 100 have any stories exclusive to that book?

Yes, several have appeared only in hard-to-find Bradbury collections or not been collected at all, and at least one never appeared in any book.

posted Hide Post
BRADBURY STORIES and THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY are completely complementary, with no overlap. This was evidently done very deliberately, as both books are being kept in print.

When I want to access a particular story, I usually find myself heading to these two compendium volumes. But when I want to READ a Bradbury from cover to cover, I head for paperback editions of the original editions. Kinder to the muscles, you see!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Sounds good.

I don't want my purchase of the big book (s) to be a waste of money, so I will certainly read them, but I think I saw Golden Apples of the Sun at the bookstore for about $2 so I'll pick that up.

Posts: 8 | Location: Canada | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Stories of Ray Bradburyis the only collection (so far) to feature "Gotcha!", which is one of his finest stories.

It's a wonderful selection, and it shows just what an incredible writer of short stories Ray Bradbury is. Is there any other writer who could publish a compilation of her/his 100 best stories, and still leave out "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl"? I think not.

The two 100-story collections are definitely complementary, and they were retitled and reissued by HarperVoyager in 2008, in matching editions. Very nice to have, but I think those are UK only.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did see, I think, the first one, on Amazon.com, with a different cover, but I would like both in original hardcover.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I did see, I think, the first one, on Amazon.com, with a different cover, but I would like both in original hardcover.

I actually got mine at a used book store for $10. It's got the 1980 cover and is in really nice shape.

That said I'm sure it was a completely random thing that I actually found it (live in rural Alberta - middle of nowhere)

posted Hide Post
I actually found it (live in rural Alberta - middle of nowhere) ~

"The Town Where Nobody Got Off"!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
I actually found it (live in rural Alberta - middle of nowhere) ~

"The Town Where Nobody Got Off"!?

I actually looked up and read that story in my book when I saw you'd mentioned it. I guess there's some truth in that story. A lot of towns around here that no one would just visit. Makes a lot of sense, thinking about it.

Anyway, I live on a farm, but I'm nearby lots of small towns.