Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    For 4E
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For 4E
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I don't stop by here often, but I do know who you are.

My sympathies on the death of your uncle. Sounds like he had an interesting life, indeed.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your kind words. He was a wonderful person, and everybody's uncle.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark Discoveries magazine available now. A tribute to 4E featuring Ray, Ray, and John Landis with Joe Dante.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forry indeed took on the role of everybody's uncle. Wonder if he had any designated heirs or causes to which the proceeds went? Let me say I was in his home once, six years ago, and found it extremely neat and well-organized, well-kept in and out, doing much in little space. There was also at least one trusted helper as a young man came through while we were there.

That being said...there is a person in my town, YOUNGER THAN I, I mean, mid-forties, in the same situation. Lives like a pauper, though he has a home that was at one time worth a lot (now falling down with neglected yard) and (at one time, unless he's sold off some) valuable items in the home which could have been auctioned off. He has refused every possible offer of help to clean, organize, sell--anything. It's said that if something isn't done with the home SOON it will fall down long before he's ready to go, which would be a terrible loss to the community as it is a fine historic structure.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received a delightful package from the ever adorable Ray Bradbury the other night. The two postage stamps adorning the face of the mailing envelope pictured Edgar Allan Poe. Ray drew a red painted arrow pointing in the direction of Poe with the words "MY PA" written ahead of it. Within the small package were his most recent Christmas poem, a handsome color photo of Ray standing next to a portrait of Edgar Allan, and a hand written note in red ink thanking me for some articles I'd written on composer Miklos Rozsa, as well as my personal tribute to our beloved Forry Ackerman in which I mentioned both Rays...Bradbury and Harryhausen. The note reads as follows...

Steve:

Thanks for "Mickey," 4E, Ray, & Me!

Love,

Ray

Posts: 47 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A semi-rare photo of a teenage Ray (on the left) and 4E in masks created by their friend, a designer of fantastical things by the name of Ray Harryhausen.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Ray is looking well!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of 4E's legacy living on...

http://www.famousmonstersoffilmland.com/

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...And it hasn't forgotten its roots, either*:

http://www.famousmonstersoffil...agic-of-the-lantern/

http://www.famousmonstersoffil...top-motion-festival/

Steve, what an excellent gift, from an excellent man! Your "Twilight Zone" pieces are very good, btw.

Doug, what a fine photo...makes you want to jump in the Wayback Machine to a hot October evening long ago...

*Full Disclosure: I recently became the "classical-effects" editor of FM, and helped organize the Halloween stop-motion fest.

Posts: 39 | Location: Big Sur, CA | Registered: 20 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle 4E would be ninety-three today. We miss you!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Uncle 4E left us one year ago today. We miss you 4E!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
To be published this Fall by McFarland Press, a hardcover biography of Forrest J. Ackerman:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/bo...id=978-0-7864-4884-5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Richard! I did not know about this book and will order one asap.
-Patricia

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just heard from Christine at Mystery & Imagination that there will be a Birthday celebration in honor of Forry's birthday on November 20th, 2010 at M & I ( http://www.mysteryandimagination.com/)

I thought some folks in or around the LA area might be interested in this!

- James
http://darkdiscoveries.com

Posts: 16 | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to attend the World Fantasy Convention this past weekend in my native Ohio, and spoke to a representative of McFarland Press who had a table in the dealer's room. He indicated that the biography of Forry Ackerman that his press is publishing should be available in about a month.

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post