Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    For 4E
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For 4E
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The auction was about 2 1/2 hours long. It was standing room only plus phone banks and internet bids going on. Everybody in the room was over fifty. Bella Lugosi, Jr. was in attendance. There were about 110 lots up for auction from Dracula's ring to Forry's BARCO lounger.

The Dracula book went for around $24,000, the ring for $46,000. Maria the Robot went for about $18,000. The Frankenstein book went for about $5,000. The nude statue of Marlina Dietrich that Forry commissioned went for about $10,000. The top hat went for around $31,000.

For exact hammer prices you can go to the website: www.liveauctions.com on Saturday for posted sale prices. Remember to add about 15% commission. I wonder how much it will cost to ship the BARCO lounger or the coffin?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please explain why some people live like they can barely afford a load of bread, while they have valuable treasures in the next room. It would seem that in the last days of someone dying, they would at least appreciate the comfort that some of their treasures (which they will lose anyway) can give them while they are still alive. Or is the psychological hold on them so strong that to release them prematurely would destroy their ability to confront the remaining hours of their life?

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Organizing an auction has to be quite a challenge even for a young, healthy person.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think in the last days when a person lays dying, they don't have the will nor energy to begin distributing their stuff. I know this is true of one person I attended to in the last three weeks of their life. I see it happening with another person who is rapidly approaching the end of their life.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...should be "lies dying".
Sorry-pet peeve here: "lay" is transitive; "lie", intransitive.

very good point, though, one with which I can relate.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
I think in the last days when a person lays dying, they don't have the will nor energy to begin distributing their stuff.

I can agree to a certain extent. But I find that many people in like situations are such control freaks, that they wouldn't even think of letting anybody help in fear that they will be astray in some part of their life. I know someone that watched every dollar so closely for such a long time in their life that a mere nickel became a central focus in their life. When the stock market crashed from 14 thousand to the low 6 thousand figure, they had a heart attack while watching the stock market on TV. They couldn't believe what was happening. I have know people that if you were to go thru the cabinets in their kitchen to arrange their stuff there into some order,(saying that it was in some form of chaos) they would have a stroke. They would be relinquishing control they would feel. It's really sad. Others it could be a matter of trust. They just don't trust anyone far enough.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our dad is 88 and I and my three brothers were shocked when we each received a check in the mail for $40,000.00 from him. He didn't like how one CD was performing and cashed it in and gave us the money. Wow!I am still thanking him.

That money, although we have to watch for possible tax ramifications, has helped my wife and I tremendously...new carpet, new leather couch, almost new Toyota. I am almost 65 and it is a nice time to be able to enjoy this.

Unfortunately our dad is dying of lymphoma and he is very much aware of it and was willing to do this while he is alive and could see us enjoy it.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hammer price of the Forry auction brought in $294,870.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sofry for the misspelling, I usually don't do stuff like that, I must be getting old.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Sofry for the misspelling, I usually don't do stuff like that, I must be getting old.

My spelling is so bad that the spell checker sometings goes, WHAT?!??!?!

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sofry?

Smiler

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Sometings?

Smiler

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Sometings?

Smiler

My point exatly.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I mean, sorry.....ugh.....

posted Hide Post
Well, he's been gone since December, but it didn't really seem real until I saw the photos today of the empty house. Uncle Forry's collection was sold off last week. It brought in $295,000.

But our beloved uncle is gone. Not a good trade off, I would say.

Try to read this with a dry eye.

It's OK - my eyes needed a good washing-out anyway. It's the photo of that bare dying-room that pushed me over the edge.

Even after all these months, it didn't really seem real until I saw that.

"Live Forever!"