Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray's Home

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's Home
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all. I was just looking at pictures from Ray's 89th party and also some of the previous visits to Ray's home by board members. In looking at photos inside of Ray's home, he undoubtably has ALOT of "stuff". I was also very surprised to see a picture of Ray walking down the steps of his home on the way to his birthday party.

I was wondering why Ray chooses not to move to a different home which has more storage and allows for more unrestricted movement (no steps to get outside/inside)? I'm sure that he could never part with all the memorabilia from over the years, so I would think he would want a place where he could store it and have easy access to it. I can't imagine that he can make it down to his writing area in his basement anymore or out into his garage without great difficulty.

Is he remaining in this house for sentimental reasons? I'm sure he's at a point economically that he could afford to get a sizeable "senior-friendly" rambler.

I'm eager to hear insights from board members who are in the know and have been to his house. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN | Registered: 27 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to his home, but have no insight as to why he doesn't move. Maybe it's too much bother, or maybe he has a strong sense of "place," or maybe he's just sentimental. He raised his family there. Some people have more sense of "place" and "history" than others. But I'm only guessing. Sorry.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by South of Eden:
I'm eager to hear insights from board members who are in the know and have been to his house. Thanks.

The house is actually quite large, but Ray's never going anywhere - he's the king of sentiment!

Perhaps one day I'll tell you the story of the badminton birdie in the rain gutter.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not his house; it's his home.

That's really all that needs to be said ...

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how close it is to the current fires?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray's home is not in any danger from the fires. He is thirty plus miles from the nearest threat.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank heavens. It would be no pleasure to burn!

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post