Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Receives National Endowment for the Arts Award!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Receives National Endowment for the Arts Award!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What a day it was in DC. Mr B, 3 of his daughters Susan, Bettina and Alexandra, Sam T. Weller and myself.
I will remember it for the rest of mylife. http://arts.endow.gov/ look under LIFETIME HONORS.

I'm still pumped, the President and First Lady, were just great, and big fans. Mrs Chaney, is also a big big fan of Mr B.

The highlight of the day, is when they finished taking pictures in the Oval Office with Mr B's group, they had us stand to one side, and Mr B was to be pushed "wheelchair" to another side, the President of the United States Of America, did the honors himself.

I took tons of picture's in and around the White House, but none were permitted, in the Oval Office at the time. Just the Official Photographer of the White House Washington Post, and a Official Video Camera, which I hope will show, the whole event.

Take care
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

Thanks for sharing what had to be a magnificent day. Bradbury is already a legend and now, it seems, he has practically been knighted. I guess that's next! If you can, post some of your photos later. I went to the link you posted and found the picture and citation for Ray:
http://arts.endow.gov/news/news04/medals/Citations_Photos.html

Now if I can just figure out your numbered postings?!!

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The numbered postings were deleted. I was afraid they might represent some secret foreign code.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I spoke to Ray Saturday morning I thought that he said that he was able to bring all four of his daughters, but my wife has been claiming that I need a Miracle Ear hearing aid myself.

Patrick, as I told Ray, I am so happy that you were able to accompany Ray on this fantastic trip. Did Ray get to do some other things while there? I figured that since he was there he may have scheduled some other activities as well.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 11-22-2004).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who missed 'The Washington Post' article, let me present an excerpt that described Ray's feelings after receiving the award:

After receiving the National Medal of Arts yesterday (Nov. 17th, 2004) Ray Bradbury, the master of out-of-this-world words, sat by a window in the Blue Room of the White House. He was taking in the perfect view of the Washington Monument and a sliver of moon.

"This is the happiest day in my life," he said, gesturing to the landmark. "I started from nothing. It was a long haul and now I'm here. Look at that moon, just hanging there."

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW. I had no idea he could see that well and am glad to hear it!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic stuff from Patrick, Biplane and all of you. Give thanks for the real and the metaphoric! Enjoy!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From 2004, the link below will take you to a photo of Ray Bradbury in the White House, being congratulated by President George W. Bush on his receipt of the National Medal of the Arts, while First Lady Laura Bush looks on:

https://nara.getarchive.net/me...recipient-ray-b6cc19

And the link below will take you to a brief article from the National Endowment for the Arts website about that presentation (mostly biographical). The citation read: "For his incomparable contributions to American fiction as one of its great storytellers who, through his explorations of science and space, has illuminated the human condition."

https://www.arts.gov/honors/medals/ray-bradbury

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post