Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    San Diego Comicon 2005 photos

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Diego Comicon 2005 photos
 Login/Join

posted
I thought y'all would enjoy these photos I took at San Diego Comicon this year.

There was an excellent panel on Friday, which was a "Spotlight on Ray Harryhausen (and all things King Kong)".

My favorite quote of the weekend came from this panel -- Ray Harryhausen said: "If I had seen the 1976 'King Kong' as a boy, I would have become a plumber!" But, luckily for us, he saw the 1933 one.

The King Kong panel included Mark Cotta Vaz, author of the new biography "Living Dangerously: The Adventures of Merian C. Cooper"
(Cooper being the creator of King Kong); Joe DeVito, creator and illustrator of "King Kong of Skull Island", co-authored with other panelist Brad Strickland; and writer-producer-director Arnold Kunert, producer of "Ray Harryhausen: The Early Years" and the driving force behind getting Harryhausen an Academy Award. (And incidentally, IMO, the best panel moderator I have ever seen.)

I enjoyed this panel so much that I promptly afterward went down to the sales floor and purchased all of their books. And got them signed, of course.

On Saturday, Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen, and Forry Ackerman were on a panel moderated by Sam Weller; later they were joined by Arnold Kunert.

It was lively and fun, and a joy to listen to their stories and remembrances.

Afterwards there was a signing in the autograph area. The line for the autographing was at least an hour's wait, one of the longest of the whole con, with another larger line of people gathered just in hope of being able to get a signature (even thought they had been told it was unlikely). I know the signers stayed longer than scheduled, to try to meet as many people as possible.

It was a wonderful event, and I wanted to share these photos with all of you here.
http://home.comcast.net/~ushertwo/bradbury.html

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat,

Great stuff! I envy you! Thanks for posting the pix. I know everyone here will get a kick out of them like I did.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great animated shots! Thanks! It took me a while to download them, but it was worth the wait.

Lake

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick! Thanks many Thanks for letting us see what you were able to see there in San Diego. Great!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto Pete's comments. Thanks Patrick for having the forethought to record such a gathering. Wow! To have those three together and the history behind them! This has to be something really unique with Ray H. being Ray B.s best man at his wedding and Forry a member of the writing group that Ray was in many years ago.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Thank you for the kind words. I wish everybody here could have been at the con with us it was great fun and wonderful to see Ray as always!
I know there are a lot of Pats on this board - so as not to further confuse everybody, I am actually a Patricia.

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PatR,

My sincere apologies. Somehow I was thinking of Patrick, Ray's driver, but his Board Name is entirely different. But again, thanks for the great photos.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post